Model Train Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
I assume you are familiar with Ward Kimball, one of the Disney animators and a charter member of Walt’s Nine Old Men team. He was the creator of Jimminy Cricket. Ward had a very large Train collection from around the world and had a complete, full size railroad in his backyard. I had the privilege of being invited to Ward’s house to see the collection, the railroad and spend some time with him. His railroad was documented in CTT in about 2000 or 2001. Tell your wife one engine is no big deal compared to Ward’s backyard railroad!
Tom once upon a time I watched a documentary on Ward Kimball plus read about the man in CTT which I still have. Outstanding full size railroad and collection. I am envious of the time you got to spend with him. I used to watch his TV train program as well. That program would highlight his real trains from time to time besides his indoor collection. Was the name of it "Tracks Ahead"? I may have that confused with another weekly TV train program I used to watch as well. Since he was a Disney animator and a knowledgeable train collector, I always thought he would be a most interesting man to talk with.

·
Registered
679 Posts
There was a railfan who died a couple of years ago near here. He had a caboose and a couple of boxcars scattered around his property. A lot of other train stuff too. I could see an old caboose set up as a bunk house in the back. I wouldn't know how to move it cheaply though...
A farmer I know near here has an old TP&W caboose setting out near his barn. This guy's grandfather was a big cattle producer and shipper at on time. The TP&W main runs right by the cattle barns so there already was a spur track from the cattle days. It sat unused for years. Eventually the TP&W wanted to tear out the connection to the main line but before they did, the guy I know bought a TP&W caboose and had it delivered by a passing train one day long ago. His only cost was the purchase of the caboose. By the way, the caboose is a steal bay window type. Inside is a beautiful HO layout.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
When we loose people like Ward there is just so much knowledge that disappears forever. His house and train buildings were on a large lot in the San Gabriel valley.
I wonder how many rooms are in that F45 diesel.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Or, you could do something like this:

View attachment 543193

EMD F45 converted to hotel rooms, Izaak Walton Inn, Glacier Park.
The F and FP45 is one of my favorite North American locomotives. I had an Athearn Amtrak FP45 decades ago pulling a six coach consist on my last layout.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts