Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time rebuild on this table. I know it may not be 100% correct but i aiming to accomidate some new 53' well cars and some of my Pullman Sleeper cars. There will be 2 mains, 2 siders, small yard, and few mic junk. Planning on one main to be 24" radius and the outher to be 22'" and 26" in some area. I'll also be using Atlas track code 100 #6 turnouts. As of now im running old analog system with 2 cabs. Anticipating to run DCC at somepoint in the future. Will try to uplaod pics of old layout and the new plans i have. Any pointers?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are more I stumble across

Airport.jpg

Airport runway lights are just christmas light stuck through table. Never took one with them on in dark.:smilie_daumenneg:

Coal_mine.jpg

Drag_racing.jpg

Freight_yard.jpg

Hot_wheels_camaro.jpg

Race_shop.jpg

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm an idiot :lol_hitting: . I thought I measured the table correctly but it turns out I did not alcohol any have been involved. Instead of the side where yard is being 8' it is 6'.

So back to AnyRail. :goofball:

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
That is an interesting continuous running layout. Love that long
team track with several industries. But you can't have too much
yard trackage. I'd add another track, and try to find another
couple locations for industry spur tracks. Switch can be
a very involved operation when you have enough industries
to move cars in and out.

Don

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks DonR, I'll try and add some spurs for the industries. And for the yard I'm running into the issue space for the coal industry and yard. Once I get a rough feel of how the two are laied out I'll possiable at that time add a frew more sides to the yard. I just don't to over crowd the layout, but yet i want to put out as much as I can. I just gott find that fine line.

·
Registered
922 Posts
some pointers for your consideration.

I believe you wrote. Eventually you will be considering DCC. It is now my suggestion for you to use heavier drop wires sooner rather than later. Or at least reference mark Gurries web site on DCC. End barriers or terminal strips will greatly help in rewiring the re-done layout where higher current levels will be involved with your new operating system......(DCC).
You might want to use heavier drop wires soldered to the rail bottoms.as apposed to soldering many more smaller wires to the sides of the 100 code rail. Mark Gurries DCC web site will instruct you along with your new operating system, though. I wish you the best with your rewiring project. Good luck. Regard's,tr1

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally Breaking Ground

Trying something new, foam for the base.

IMG_0714.JPG

Got my supports foy my 1.9% grade

Risers.JPG

Had to add an extension due to 24" radius would not fit in 24":lol_hitting:

Extension.JPG

The under side (Oh yeah!)

Extension Under View.JPG

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh....FFFFFFFFoam

So between the risers there is a gap. Instead of tediously filling it with sheet foam I decided to use Stuff (insulation foam in a can). Also thinking form filled grade will run quiter than a hollow one. So I proceded with Stuff. After the foam had cured i noticed I over filled the space and it actually twisted the base where the roadbed is secured to. It is not to bad just only in one scetion but now I will have run a strip of thin card board to get the track level once agian.

Has anyone tried banking the curves like in real life? If so what is the percentage and what works best. ...and yes I know this Isn't Talladega where it hase to be 33° of banking.

Grade 1.JPG

Gread 2.JPG

·
Registered
416 Posts
there was an article in model railroader about making banked curves. I don't know what issue it was you might be able to find it on their website. they were using thin pieces of cardboard on 1 side of the track.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here I'll place my coal industry.
Coal Industry.JPG

This is the grade comming from the yard/coal.
Yard Grade.JPG

This is where the yard and turntable will be.
Yard.JPG

The Rev. loop will run between a secinic wall and will build a acess plannel for pesky derailments.
Reverse Loop.JPG

Part of the Rev. loop will run under the town.
Rev. Underground.JPG

This is where the station will be.
Rev. By Station.JPG

As you can see the Rev. loop was an after thought.
Amtrak.JPG

To rev. the train/loco the other way there will be a rev loop going aroung the yard.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I like the way you have laid out the yard. That design will create all sorts
of complex switching moves which adds to the fun of an operating
session.

Don

1 - 20 of 31 Posts