Model Train Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,406 Posts
It might just be me, but when you first started showing the ballasting I thought it looked like snow. It also could be the camera that makes it look too white?
I added some that looked like the same color as yours was in the beginning to the little N layout just temporarily to shoot some pictures.
While looking at it with the eye it didn't look bad. After I shot some pictures it looked like snow to me. So maybe it has a lot to do with the camera too.
My preference is more towards a gray ballast. That is what I see today. But that is me, others might not agree.

I like it better now that you added some color to it.:smilie_daumenpos:
I like the smoke billowing from the building too. Looks like a real windy day there.:D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
It might just be me, but when you first started showing the ballasting I thought it looked like snow. It also could be the camera that makes it look too white?
I added some that looked like the same color as yours was in the beginning to the little N layout just temporarily to shoot some pictures.
While looking at it with the eye it didn't look bad. After I shot some pictures it looked like snow to me. So maybe it has a lot to do with the camera too.
My preference is more towards a gray ballast. That is what I see today. But that is me, others might not agree.

I like it better now that you added some color to it.:smilie_daumenpos:
I like the smoke billowing from the building too. Looks like a real windy day there.:D:thumbsup:
Thanks Ed...That stuff is white but very coarse....I "assume" it's vintage dolomite or whatever it's called. It was in a bag marked "Bob's Hobby Shop" for 89 cents. So it's pretty dated...and because of that I put it on as is. It reminds me of my Dad's first layout. Speaking of that...the bag of fine ballast I received from AZ Rock IS marked "snow"...and is VERY dusty and much too fine...it turns into paste when wet. Adding the darker yard mix and the last of the coarser vintage ballast cut down the dusty paste. AZ Rock makes main line ballast in prototype colors which is larger and I'll be using that for the rest of the trackage. I am planning on dusting and dirtying up the pure white stuff in the latter stages.

Thanks for checking out the build kind sir.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,406 Posts
I did not want to say anything when you added that, as I remembered how mine looked.

More of Ed's constructive criticism?
This picture would have looked better if you had removed the bottle in it?
Unless you were getting some free advertising in?:p

I like the shot..... but without the bottle in it, it screws up the whole scene.:)

23960068176_98832c3e5d_b.jpg

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I did not want to say anything when you added that, as I remembered how mine looked.

More of Ed's constructive criticism?
This picture would have looked better if you had removed the bottle in it?
Unless you were getting some free advertising in?:p

I like the shot..... but without the bottle in it, it screws up the whole scene.:)

View attachment 148954
I was like...what bottle? :dunno: ...should've had the 2 handed giant crane remove those items. Some stuff seems to become part of the scenery because it's hung around so long.:cool:

I should have an official ceremony (minus the building material) once everything is done, but I don't know if that day will happen.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Well I was going to work on the layout but I didn't. I started fixing more trains. For those of you who read this thread...

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=54817

...you know I've made promises I'm honor bound to keep. Locomotives, like women, don't like to be kept waiting.
Those 3 chattering chipmunks....err F-7s got their numbers and a few details. All seems quiet for the moment.

000_0005 by desertguy56, on Flickr

Yardmaster Brown coat Billy has been keeping the mountain busy in the daylight. Finishing it has been a problem since it is running revenue. Here it is with a consist of express reefers. BcB is also getting testy about the lack of a promised ice station.

BTW the E-8 in the background is now running after some repairs. Quite the crawler for what it is.

000_0004 by desertguy56, on Flickr

Another jewel from the vault. Nice wooden Wabash boxcar built by my Dad. That's not weathering, but actual wear and tear (mostly from storage).

000_0003 by desertguy56, on Flickr

Last (but not least) another one of Dads old metal cars. Nice weathering? That's REAL rust on the metal. I need to treat this so it doesn't ruin things.

000_0002 by desertguy56, on Flickr

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
More progress on locomotive updates. Dads fine MDC Atlantic has her new tender in fresh paint and C&NW finery. After the Mountain project is completed she'll be going under the knife...errr Dremel tool as well.

000_0003a by desertguy56, on Flickr

I also picked up these two characters off of ebay. Can't decide wether to name 'em Jonny and Haji or Shaggy and Scooby. I'll see how they run after I give the lead unit a good cleaning.

000_0004a by desertguy56, on Flickr

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Well, summer is over, the car cruises, shows, and racing is done....so back to the SWJ.

My little Atlantic project is about done. We've added and removed several details to make her more like the prototype, and she just needs a couple details to be done. But she struts her stuff on the main line and the boys all whistle when she goes through!

100_0168 by desertguy56, on Flickr

Since I had a long weekend to boot, I decided to paint the rock formation I'd built a year ago.

100_0167 by desertguy56, on Flickr

Shading

100_0170 by desertguy56, on Flickr

And more shading...

100_0176 by desertguy56, on Flickr

I think we're close, maybe I'll wash some desert pink into the fray. For now, a coat of dull coat.

100_0171 by desertguy56, on Flickr

And we'll catch you all later!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
The Atlantic is looking good.
And it's about time you got the rocks done. Crew on strike again?
Looks much better.

Magic
Thanks all!
No, I was doing too much other outdoor stuff. No time and money. I laid off the crew, and they went fishing...so I put out a recall. I figure with the winter on the way they'll want to buy heating oil, or wood.

Now I see the front ladder steps on my PA unit are missing...more work!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Well my crew showed back up, I guess they needed wood and food. They didn't show up with any unusual motive power, but they did bring along this nice Shinohara turnout which brown coat Billy suggested I install.
I thought it looked weird but it does gave me the space to run two main line tracks as a bypass around the interchange area. Perfect for passenger service!

100_0215 by desertguy56, on Flickr

Where shall they go? Not off the end of the bench work but onto the third stage of track laying.

100_0216 by desertguy56, on Flickr

100_0219 by desertguy56, on Flickr

You can see where the 26 inch radius gauge has mapped out the curved path. Fortunately there is room for a larger radii and so I've ordered a couple new radius gauges. 30 inches will probably work, giving my passenger cars easier travel. This section will also hold the power pack(s) and switching, and be removable.

100_0218 by desertguy56, on Flickr

That's all for now folks, Happy New Year!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Many try to things on the cheap but IMHO you never regret buying quality.
Absolutely. My Dad used Shinohara turnouts when he built our 2nd layout. They were not cheap then, and priorities meant he didn't buy 2 or 3 at a time.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts