Model Train Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Outside Old man winter is trying to brew up an ice storm. So I'm in a nice warm dry house laying rip rap and ballast.
Got two bags of main line ballast from AZ rock and mineral. Added some to the bit of yard mix mix that I had, and off we go.

100_0226 by desertguy56, on Flickr

100_0234 by desertguy56, on Flickr

I'm continuing to add the new ballast to the old as I continue out of the yard.

100_0228 by desertguy56, on Flickr

Got a ways to go yet. Most of the rip rap is in.

100_0227 by desertguy56, on Flickr

That's all for now folks!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Yeah, I think that's looking good. :)

Be sure and stay off of the ice! Let it melt before you go out. :eek:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Hello everybody! Spring is trying to appear here, but things are still plodding along on the SWJ.
As the survey crew starts laying out the curves for the mainlines I thouhgt, biy I'd better get the town built up a little bit here!
000_0006 by desertguy56, on Flickr

The focal point of Derek is the railway hotel. Built back in the territory days, it's been modernized and details like the swinging doors have been replaced by Victorian decor. The building was halved and one wall has been used to created a false front L shaped building. Train crews can eat and drink in the front and while certain female locals might mingle with the crews, townies generally stay out.

000_0005 by desertguy56, on Flickr

The building is a Tyco model I purchased at a "model railroad" display in Minnesota. A locl O guage club has a layout set up in the old train depot and they had this building in their souvenir counter. It was gloped together mess.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Nice work! I like the "semi flat" arrangement on the building, very clever. I assume it will be 'dimly lit'.:eyes:

Keep your eye on VegasN, first thing you know you'll have mayhem in the streets, the undead, and his personal likeness living on your layout!:dunno: I never see it coming, but I sure know when it arrives!:hah::lol_hitting:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Awesome! Can't wait to see the girls....;)
Nice work! I like the "semi flat" arrangement on the building, very clever. I assume it will be 'dimly lit'.:eyes:
Keep your eye on VegasN, first thing you know you'll have mayhem in the streets, the undead, and his personal likeness living on your layout!:dunno: I never see it coming, but I sure know when it arrives!:hah::lol_hitting:
Whooooooaaaaa gents...minds out of the gutter if you please!
I wasn't going for the New Orleans cat house vibe. It's an old hotel with a pretty specific clientel. Maybe some war widows and ladies looking for the romance of the rails stop in and check out the rousters from time to time. That'd be about it.
Derek is a pretty quiet town. After the tragic accident that gave the town it's name, the mayhem is pretty subdued and an early curfew keeps the under 21 crowd off the streets. Zombies are confined to movies, but you never know about Aliens...:eek::cool:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
No gutter intended, just figured from your inference that it was on the wrong side of the tracks, so to speak. I'm looking forward to seeing that area as it fills out. Keep us in the know!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
No gutter intended, just figured from your inference that it was on the wrong side of the tracks, so to speak. I'm looking forward to seeing that area as it fills out. Keep us in the know!
So if the hotel is on the "right" side of the tracks, that means that when Desertdog is standing in front of his layout, HE is on the "WRONG" side of the tracks....

Hm......

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
So if the hotel is on the "right" side of the tracks, that means that when Desertdog is standing in front of his layout, HE is on the "WRONG" side of the tracks....

Hm......
Astute observation. :sly:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Building a proper tender for my Mountain has taken a fair portion of my time these last days, but I have done a bit of work to the old motel. The large area will be filled with gravel to emulate a small parking lot.

100_0279 by desertguy56, on Flickr

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
With the coming of fall, it's time to focus on the SWJ again.
That doesn't mean I haven't ignored things. I've killed a few spiders and swept a lot of dead bugs off the layout.:eek:

I built Mr. Gene Greenes dry good/uniform store and Violi Brothers shoe repair. The shoe shop is the real deal. I bought my first pair of Redwing Biker boots and steel toed shoes at the real Violi Brothers many decades ago in South Bend, Indiana

I added signage to the motel and dry goods store.

And yes, trains still run in their own magical way.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
It has been over a year since I last posted.
2018 was a tough year for me. It started in December of 2017. My best friend from grade school dropped over dead. We'd been in garage bands together through junior high, and in tribute, I bought some recording gear and have recording music again.
I had my right knee scoped. this killed most of the pain but other forms took its place. That took out the spring and summer.
My mom suffered a debilitating stroke in June. I was able to visit her in August but she was pretty much gone. She finally passed in October. Then I had to deal with my brother and settle her estate.
Obviously the railroad was on the back burner through most of this. But in a time where many forums have died or are on life support, this forum continues to be active.
2019 is looking up, In the span of a week, I've laid ballast (until I ran out!) and put down roadbed on the final section of the board work.
Hope to have pictures soon.
Dd

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sorry to hear about your year.....must have been something about 2018, it pretty much sucked for me too.....but, I'm glad you pulled through and are back. Welcome back!

101 - 120 of 140 Posts