Model Train Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Best wishes Desert Dog, excited to see your return. I have looked at your work and it is very impressive. Anxious to see the tender you were working on.

I have had a pretty good year, some health issues early in the year, but after that most things have went smooth. Too much work not enough train time.

Good luck to everyone in 2019.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Thanks everyone....:)
Here's what I've achieved in the last couple of weeks.

000_0015 by desertguy56, on Flickr
I ran out of ballast, more on order.

I finally fitted the last piece into place and dropped the roadbed. This piece must be removable so I can access the town and engine house.
000_0016 by desertguy56, on Flickr

Engineering a way to join track and provide reliable electrical service. I've got a couple of ideas.
000_0017 by desertguy56, on Flickr

this was a design error. I'll add a piece of wood to add some safety.
000_0018 by desertguy56, on Flickr

I'm also looking for a door for this boxcar? It doesn't have to be Silver. It's an Athrean BB car. If you've a spare door I' d like to buy it. It'll get one of my dads old cars back on the rails.
Thanks!
000_0019 by desertguy56, on Flickr

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Best wishes Desert Dog, excited to see your return. I have looked at your work and it is very impressive. Anxious to see the tender you were working on.

I have had a pretty good year, some health issues early in the year, but after that most things have went smooth. Too much work not enough train time.

Good luck to everyone in 2019.
The tender project is located in the following thread...https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=74258

This is the finished product...100_0313a by desertguy56, on Flickr

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
It's been just over a year since I posted anything, and while there have been changes, the layout hasn't seen any.
Currently, I'm on unpaid leave, thanks to the China virus, and this February I had to put one of my beloved dogs down at age 17. So 2020 is the year of suck.
Leave has given me some time to reconsider working on the layout, once the unemployment insurance starts.
Another thing that has cut my railroading time is the acquisition of another car. This one is pretty slick.
Hopefully I'll post again soon.
Be well...

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Sorry to hear of your dog's fate...that's always a bitter pill. Also sorry about your job, but it sounds like it'll be there when this "event" is over. I hope you don't suffer too much on the financial end. Good to hear from you again.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
This red beast took all my railroad time.
Xmas 2019 3a.jpg

If I have another 3 weeks off, I'll be working on the railroad, not on the car. Yes we had it out top down on Christmas 2019! My little one got her last top down ride. ):

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Sweet, 273 Hypo? Sorry about your little buddy. I lost one about 6 weeks ago.
Keep safe, it will be over some day.
Thanks, she was a tough one to lose. They all are in a way but she was a heartbreaker.
No the big gal has a 383 4v. Nice highway car

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
This weekend the pavers finally arrived and started work on the road through downtown Derek.
When I examined their work, something seemed suspicious...and indeed it appeared that my new pack of 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper was missing a few sheets which appeared to be used as paving material. No biggie, but I'll be interested to see what the side walk contractors will be using...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I got a great deal on a Grocery store/Auto repair shop kit off ebay. One of those IHC/AHM kits.
Of course things like this lend themselves to kit bashing so the cutting and gluing has begun!
The concrete crew grabs side walks and demonstrated how they could be used in making modules out of the other two buidings. So I set them to work with the cutting saws. Those promptly broke so they headed for the hotel bar and I need to run to Hobbytown. I also can't cut down the grocery store to ghost front it.
I'll have some photos soon...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
000_0033[1].JPG

^The sidewalk crew showed me this. I like it. They trimmed off the rounded corner so it will fit against the grocery store, leaving a fire space gap. The buildings will be mounted on a plastic slab so the sidewalk will go under the trim and will butt up on the street properly

Wilts' grocery store will be inserted next to the dry goods. The sidewalks will go together nicely.
000_0035[1].JPG

In other news, I picked up this Mehano/AHM Mikado off ebay. While it won't receive the mod work the Mountain did, it will get some detail work and new tender lettering.

000_0034[1].JPG

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
This what I've accomplished in the last 3 weeks. Derek is not done but the basics are in. I am working my way outward so I can install the last piece of bench work and not have to stand on a stool to reach the corner.

000_0037[1].JPG

000_0038[1].JPG

^ Wilt's grocery store awaits it's signage and a couple other details

I bought these horrible looking cacti as part of a diorama scene kit. They need a lot of work! Some painting will help...

000_0039[1].JPG

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Looking good Ddog, the lamps and mail box add a nice touch.
Where did you get the lamps, I need something like those for my housing area?
Magic
The lamps came with the AHM grocery store/Auto repair shop kit. All the sidewalks and curb, along with the pieces to build the barrier at the curve, were also repurposed from that kit.
The barrier was made from the rain gutters, which didn't look very realistic at all, and some pieces of sprue.

The weathering on your buildings is top notch.
Thanks! A series of happy little accidents

121 - 140 of 140 Posts