Model Train Forum banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I won't updating unless there's something worth updating for.

I kept thinking that something is lacking on my layout/diorama. It really boiled down to 4 things. People, plants, vehicles, and animals. The sad part is you can spend a butt load of money on these items! Even trying to make your own is costly in terms of time.

Here's a couple three photos of what I've taken the last three weeks to do, between whatever life throws on me.
000_0050[1].JPG

000_0051[1].JPG
000_0052[2].JPG

000_0053[1].JPG

000_0054[1].JPG

000_0056[2].JPG

^^ When saguaro cacti die, or by accident fall over, the results are pretty spectacular. Cars have been crushed and buildings damaged. Here, one has cleaved off a branch of one of it's cousins as it crashed down.

Last but not least, I've been working on detailing my Monon caboose. Monon added a lot of extra grab bars and shields to their cabeese. It is hard to glue music wire in place.
000_0055[1].JPG

Catch y'all later. Stay humble and kind.

·
Registered
911 Posts
One thing that can make a big difference is to make or buy an appropriate backdrop. It will give a better sense of depth and extend your scene into the distance making your layout feel larger.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
One thing that can make a big difference is to make or buy an appropriate backdrop. It will give a better sense of depth and extend your scene into the distance making your layout feel larger.
Great advice. You can do this very cheaply with travel magazine photos posted on oak tag.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Great advice. You can do this very cheaply with travel magazine photos posted on oak tag.
I get that. Maybe I'll do it someday.

Scenery is a necessary evil for me. Where you see a white wall I imagine seeing all the things you can't. Pasting stuff over a window isn't gonna work either.

My dad tried doing all the scenery bits and always ended up tearing down the layout before he could finish. In his frustration he decided to no longer participate in the hobby.

I already know that this layout is temporary and may have to be broken down, so my focus is on the benchwork.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Looking good.

A scenery background made all the difference in one corner of my layout.

I have windows to deal with too on two sides on the room. I'm glad to have the natural lighting, but it certainly breaks up the background. I haven't figured out how to deal with this yet.

I thought about putting the background on a removable panel that I could put up in front of the windows in the evenings for running trains, but it doesn't do much for daytime running when you want the room light in.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have windows to deal with too on two sides on the room. I'm glad to have the natural lighting, but it certainly breaks up the background. I haven't figured out how to deal with this yet.
My background is mounted on 3/16 masonite board that only extends up about 18 inches above my layout surface. It passes over a window but doesn’t block the upper half of the window, so it’s no problem. Light and ventilation can still come through. The background still has the desired effect without having to go far up the wall.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
My 2020 isn't getting much better...
My employer informed me a while back they eliminated my position, which affected a few hundred other people throughout the country too.
The offered me a severance which was pretty poor, or a much lower paying job, which I took.
Now it's a means to then end to keep my insurance and 401k contribution until I can retire with on SS.
While I have most of the material to finish the layout, my time is limited, and my enthusiasm has diminished considerably.

I built a jig and finally started working on my chain link fence.
000_0070[1].JPG

000_0071[1].JPG

000_0072[1].JPG

000_0073[1].JPG

141 - 149 of 149 Posts