Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is the result of reading another article in The Railway Magazine, this time from the May 1951 edition!

This time we are in the Republic of Ireland, specifically in County Clare. The May 1951 edition of the magazine carried an article on the 3ft gauge light railway which ran from Ennis to Kilrush and Kilkee. The total length of the railway was about 53 miles.

The first post gives some consideration to the history of the line and then looks at the section of the journey between Ennis and Corofin.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/04/08/the-west-clare-railway-part-1-ennis-to-corofin

·
Registered
152 Posts
Some years ago while walking through a park in Ashby-de-la-Zouch I came upon a charity stall where I found a book about a Father and Son who walked the whole length of the abandoned West Clare railway ( in stages ).
Very interesting book but I can't lay my hands on it at this moment so cannot add the title or author.

Regards, Colin.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Colin

It is a great read, written by Edmund Lenihan ... In the Tracks of the West Clare Railway. It was written in the 1980s and quite a lot has changed since then. But, nonetheless, a fantastic book.

Roger

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Roger. Found the book !!!
My edition is 2008 by Mercer Press.
Have put it out for re-reading for as you say it is a good read.
Regards, Colin.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 13 of 13 Posts