Model Train Forum banner
261 - 280 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I never needed reading glasses, just contacts for distance. But I needed to have cataract surgery this January. The fixed power lens implants gave me 20/25 vision (from like 20/800). But they don't allow the eye to focus close. So +1.5 or so for reading. But I always had a few pairs of +3 lens for detail work. Using them is similar to using magnifiers but way more convenient, see the pic. A buck at the dollar store. Great investment. I recommend you try it. Also, light. I always use a small desk lamp for detail work. As we age, the eyes lose some ability to see well in low light conditions.

Vision care Eye glass accessory Eyewear Tints and shades Event

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had perfect vision until around forty. I mean I could see both near and far without glasses. Even do the tiniest detail work with the naked eye. Then I started needing reading glasses. By my fifties I needed bifocals. In my sixties I had cataract surgery. Now, approaching seventy-five, I find I need glasses for distance, just to make things a bit more clear.

And Mike is correct about low light.

Reactions: sjm9911

·
Hobo for Life
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Yea, im just 48, and this year its hard to see up close. I have to give into the age thing and that I need reading glasses. Had an eye exam for like the first time in January. Lol. Got a pair of glasses that do absolutely nothing, i think they just said I needed this and that to make money. But I do need the reading glasses. Or should use them. I just haven't come terms that I atually need them. At work last night I had to hand a smoke detector to someone else to read the date on the back after staring at it for 5 minutes and not being able to read anything.

·
Registered
642 Posts
And the print on instruction booklets is meant for microscopic people to read.....LOL

·
Hobo for Life
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Oh, and for anyone else reading this, check the dates on your smoke and COs , there CO detector did not go off. Luckily they smelled something and called us. Had levels of like 64 PPM. Alarm is supost to trigger at like 30-35 and again at like 60. If it kept building up inside it would not have eneded well. Smokes last lime 10 years, co 7 to 8 years. Will be a end of life date on the back. Worth the money if you ever need it.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Yea, im just 48, and this year its hard to see up close. I have to give into the age thing and that I need reading glasses. Had an eye exam for like the first time in January. Lol. Got a pair of glasses that do absolutely nothing, i think they just said I needed this and that to make money. But I do need the reading glasses. Or should use them. I just haven't come terms that I atually need them. At work last night I had to hand a smoke detector to someone else to read the date on the back after staring at it for 5 minutes and not being able to read anything.
Unlike glasses for distance, reading glasses do not need to be very specific, just the minimum magnification, or more. Knowing myself, I break/lose/trash eyeglasses on a weekly basis and I won't hang them around my neck. So, off to the dollar store for several pairs. A few in my desk draw, one in the car, a few in the tool chest, and one in my bicycle pack (I ride to local store for exercise). If I need a pair, they're always handy.

·
Hobo for Life
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Ok , so cement back wall thing is out. I went with a rock wall. Started with some black and yellow for accents, but may need to redue it a bit darker. Yes, it looks road runner esk. But it dosen't look bad. So, I may re accent it, with a darker black, less watery. Or just spray it with a darker paint for some depth. When I add some moss and stuff it will be acceptable. The great stuff on the sides will be shapped a bit and made to be more like green or brown hills. Or ill match the road runner theam and just stack rocks, lol.
Wood Rectangle Window Grey Wall
Rectangle Wood Sky Wall Plant
Water Water resources Azure Wood Rectangle
Self-propelled artillery Combat vehicle Line Tank Wood
Toy Creative arts Rectangle Art Urban design
Green Wood Wall Line Rectangle

·
Hobo for Life
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Ok, so what does everyone think of this? Not great, but was a way to get some town buildings in. I like it. Not exactly what I wanted, but when its glued down, and populated, it will look good from a distance. Thats why I didnt bother much with the road, you don't really see it. Buildings and the board in the back are removable. Fence and road is stationary. This way I xan wire and work on the tracks underneath. I may or may not loose the second sidewalk, but for now its holding the fence up. Firehouse will go on the right of the layout. And on the left, I may build upwards and place a water tower, billboard, and maybe a scenic overlook. But that stuff can be added later. As soon as the hills are done, I will start on the 2 outside loops. Wish I had more 072 switches, but right now they are $$$$. So , I may leave some stuff unfinished as I look for cheap parts.
Window Water Building Line Wall
Water House Wall Art Font
Water Architecture Urban design Building Human settlement
Wood Road surface Asphalt Floor Flooring

·
Registered
642 Posts
Rule 8 - It's my railroad and I will do what I like. I like it. I'm on the same page as you. I have a post-war type layout, which to me means that scenery and structures are more of a caricature, than trying to replicate the real thing. I like running trains and have plenty of operating accessories.

I have been toying with the idea of building a large scale diorama/switching layout. I've been in the large scale portion of our hobby since 1990. I have plenty of locos and rolling stock, of the field railway type that lends itself well to those highly detailed, backwoods type of railways.

·
Hobo for Life
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
I agree, I thought it was a neat idea. Just took me forever to make it work. One train will run on the shelf just in front of the town, the other will go in the tunnel under it. And thanks to T Man, I will put in a hidden siding. I wanted to fit in a station, with stairs or a tunnel from the town to the track. But I still can not figure it out with the room I have. So, you cant have everything you want. But good enough is good enough. For me its like a Picasso, for other with skill its blah. But, eaither way, it will be fun. Cant wait untill I run the track and hook up all the wiring for the stuff I have. Should be a long build, but , estimated finish time x mass. Lol.

·
Hobo for Life
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
It does, but tbh , look up 1 union place summit nj. The summit dinner. Do the street veiw. Almost the same. But i do get what your saying, i think if i move the 3 story to the middle and then a 2 story near it, it may look better. Or turn it, and have it on a corner, maybe across the street. Its not set yet. And my 10 yo is going to paint the second bakery to be an ice cream shop, so whatever that will be , we be. Lol. It will probably turn out better then what I do!

·
Hobo for Life
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Ok , so started the tunnels. Lol. It needs work, paint, grass etc. I put some stuff on to see qhat it looked like. Like the stones, makes it look like an old concrete sidewalk. So those will get painted. Just trying ideas out. Good enough, we will see how it dries.
Water Wood Brick Brickwork Gas
Font Urban design Landscape Wood Concrete

261 - 280 of 329 Posts