Model Train Forum banner
321 - 340 of 340 Posts

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Ok, tacked it down. Not the correct scews, lol. Couldn't finish the loop because I forgot another slope that needed spackle. I used 2 peices of reguler lionel long track, it blends ok with the older stuff. The one will really not be sceen and the other one was just too bumpy without it, plus it lines up well. I tested each peice of track before putting it in, and shot some anti rust ellectrical conductive jell in each conection. I bumped up the track under the town to meet the other foam board. This way if the tunnels are too short, I can go down.

Questions: if I put the one set of 072s as pictured will it work ok. Looks like it will? I want to do the same on the other side, but need to find another set of switches for less then my left hand. All in all a good day.

And for ed, i make a bridge that will have a small brook going into it for you. The road has to go the other way. It looks pretty good to me.

Attachments

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
Ok , finished the outside loop, wired it . Tested it with a lamp, it worked and then nada. Lol. So , I swapped out transformers, and there is a short somewhere. So tomorrow is camper dewinterization, then if I have time I will start breaking down the wiring. Its weird, as I tested all the tracks individually before install for continuity. Wires are in bus bars, I did use lock ons, but those shouldn't be an issue, I make sure the wires in the clips were far away. And I didnt install the switches, too much for another set to atually use them. So , just basic wires, unless the track is loosing the continuity because the fish paper in the older track is failing? Or its those new clip conecters, I did use a bunch of those. They looked secure , but were a bit of a pain for the 16 guage stranded copper wire. One strand always jutted out and got caught on the divider. So, only time will tell. Wish I had my simple test light. I may have to make one.

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
I think its the track mike, just looked over my messy wires, no way it could be that. Could be the transformer, as the ones im using are just whats closest for me to grab, but they dont trip when the piwer is turned down, and other outputs, going nonwhere dont trip anything. So ill take the lock ons off, restart the power, if thats not it its the track. Then I'll break it down in quarters, and so on ,and ,so on. We will see. Depending on what I find, menards track may be in the future.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I think its the track mike, just looked over my messy wires, no way it could be that. Could be the transformer, as the ones im using are just whats closest for me to grab, but they dont trip when the piwer is turned down, and other outputs, going nonwhere dont trip anything. So ill take the lock ons off, restart the power, if thats not it its the track. Then I'll break it down in quarters, and so on ,and ,so on. We will see. Depending on what I find, menards track may be in the future.
I tightly twist and then tin the very ends of 18/16 gauge connection wires. Makes them easy to insert with no "stragglers".

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
I twist them with the sheath after I cut through it, makes a nice perfect twist. The wires are too big for the lock ons though, so you need to use thw pliers and open the spring joint a bit. Even then too tight. But this was just a test. Glad it failed before I used the glue. Lol.

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Ok, so my wiring is good, took off the lock ons, and the transformer dosen't trip. Put tester on the tracks and I get continuity through all the rails. So, its a center insulator somewhere. So , either it rubbed through when installing it, or I grabbed an untested peice. I do have one switch in the rear, but that was tested for operation before putting it in. So , next week will be beeaking it down in sections. And retesting. From the readings and the way the transformer trips , it seems as its a barly there bleed through. It trips, resets, trips, resets, and the readings go up and down on the volt meter. So, this could be a pita to find. Hope its just one of my tack screws hitting something. I tacked it down for testing, and was going to glue the track with a hot glue gun with black glue afterwards then remove the screws. I will waste a day on it, after that its ordering new track. I am not replacing 1000s of insulaters.

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
Ok , happy holiday weekend all. I have not broken the track down yet. I did make an impulse buy. And I spent too much ,but and happy. Just hope it works as designed. So, I got an mth burning building, with firefighter. So it will pair with the MTH firehouse. It will go on the top town area. In the corner where it can be highlighted. As both the buildings are prety cool. So, in absence of me doing nothing, I am actually doing something. Spending $$$. Lol.

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
And ,i just won some 072 switches. So, I think the turnouts from outer to inner loop will go in now. Hope they work or I can fix them. Anyone know if 022 switch motors are the same for the 072s? Just curious. I got 4 switches for 200. Way more then I wanted, and 2 switch motors look like they have been taken apart. But if I get them up and running for 50$ a pop, not bad.

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Still waiting on my switches , so everthing is on hold......they havent even shipped yet. Hope to get a day or two of work in on the layout before the first camping trip, but not looking good.

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Ok, cleaned the basement a bit, it was getting out of hand. And then broke down the track to find the short. So, I broke it in half first, the quarters, and so on. The short was a screw that rolled into the sidding that was under the town area. So I didnt see it. Good news is the track was fine and all the insulated sections work properly. What a pita. And I shoyld kbow better. When I had time and wasn't rushing stuff on my first build somethibg simmiler happened, but i would use the shop vac and a stocking over the hose to pick up loose metal from the track. So, everything now is unscrewed, and I am waiting for my 4 072 switches. So I still cannot put it back together untill they arrive. I will need to line up the inner track with the outer one so you will be able to move the trains from one to the other. Not sure if I have the room to make it work, but we will see. Switches were $$$$, but if they work I think they wete cheap enough at 225 for the 4 switches shipped and with tax. So, I did ok if they work. If they don't, I will cobble them with 022 parts. I have a bunch of those. Thats if they even work. Tunnel clearance was good for now. If that changes I can dig the foam out a bit to make room. So , successful trial run.

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
For some reason that didnt post the other day, and the pictures were gone. Ok so here is where we are at. Pillers are done. I cut wood and painted it for transitions. Yea, not sanded or finished, but TBH , I dont care. Lol. This will have to be fiddled with after I get the 072 switches that were supose to be delivered 2 days ago. The peirs will be moved and the foam cut or added to inorder to make the grade smooth and make the pilers look equal distant. Just got an email, and they just mailed the 072 switches now. So , only 2 weeks after winning the auction. Oh well, at least they should get here by july! The wood over the bridge is to insulate the track and to raise it a bit so the trains dont clip the triangular suports. This was made for stright track , not curved. But it will work. When I get it into final position I will level it better, and then test it with a smaller train before using the bigger ones. It may limit some stuff, but for the most part should be ok. This is my great mathamatical skill coming through. I measured nothing! Lol. Living on the edge.
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Flooring Wood
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Ok, so my switches finally came. They were not shipped great. Some plastic peices in the wrapping. I don't have time ro test them, but they move freely. They look to be in good shape, just have ro figure out what exactly broke. But, that will have to wait. The camper is packed up and we will return in a few.......stay tuned.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Ok, so my switches finally came. They were not shipped great. Some plastic peices in the wrapping. I don't have time ro test them, but they move freely. They look to be in good shape, just have ro figure out what exactly broke. But, that will have to wait. The camper is packed up and we will return in a few.......stay tuned.
I recall a sub-forum, Union Station, you know, for the off grid pics :)

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
I'll post some mike. I have 2 camping fourms I do also, and will be attending 2 rallies. So, meeting new and old people from all walks of life and seeing a small part of the world. Should be fun!

321 - 340 of 340 Posts