Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received a GP9 in the Erie Lackawanna early freight scheme, which I pre ordered a few months ago. I had seen the preliminary photos of the model and there was a glaring mistake that I had hoped would have been corrected before they were released.

The issue is with the long hood side lettering and logo. The Erie Lackawanna and diamond are painted in the wrong place. I don’t know why MTH would have done the lettering this way. To me, it just doesn’t look right…

Train Vehicle Wheel Rolling stock Track

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Railway Locomotive

The lettering and diamond should be centered below the dynamic brake blister. It should look like this N scale model…

Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Rolling stock

If the HO and N makers can get it right, why can’t MTH. My guess is they were trying to avoid the set of louvers on the hood.

If the decals were available, I would fix it myself.

I am deciding whether I should live with this error or send it back to the dealer...

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Just so that I get what the problem is, because honestly, I just am ignorant on some logos and history, is it because the diamond of the E logo is not into the leg of the "K" and instead just shifted between the K and the A?

I understand why that's upsetting, I just again, consider me stupid on this topic, never was aware of that detail.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Or, is it both that and it's not centered under the dynamic brake? So yeah, I think I see it better, that is off more than I first thought.
I have areas like this, where I just sadly am no means an expert on logos and lettering.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Michael, yes I am irritated by this error. Like I said, the HO and N makers did it right.

Bill, It is a Premier engine. Great detail but that darn lettering😡. MTH can’t seem to get away from numbering their Erie and EL Geep 9s with the same few numbers too.

JG, the entire logo, words and diamond are off center. I have seen many of the same scheme done in N scale and HO, so it kind of jumped out at me when I saw it in person…

Tom

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I don’t want to be the stickler but since that logo was in the same location on the pre order model or image, and the locomotive is otherwise nice and runs well, I don’t see why the dealer should take it back. Don’t kill the messenger.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I think I am with Bryan here. You are walking a thin line. In the future don’t pre order if the catalog is wrong, wait until they ship. Its annoying but at this point it may be better to just bite the bullet reletter it. At least you have the skills to do that and cost is minimal.

Pete

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Quite amazing, actually. I looked online and could find no pictures of any E-L diesel that didn't have the railroads name centered. Hard to understand how anyone could make this mistake, and particularly a shame since the cost to do it right would have been zero. You could have it repainted and relabeled, but . . . maybe best to send it back?

Reactions: Krieglok

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I don’t know about MTH but with Lionel when its in the catalog thats what gets built, correct or not. Its prevented me from making two pre orders as what was in the catalog was not what I was looking for.

Pete

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Be careful. Some MTH is difficult to remove and replace without damaging the paint. Harry Hieke and I were discussing it Wednesday after it was mentioned on Steve Nelson’s Zoom call Tuesday night.

Lionel comes off easily, MTH not so much.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm. I read about many people sending Lionel stuff back because the colors weren’t right.

MTH didn’t have it in a catalog. It was shown on Muffins site and I commented then how it wasn’t correct.

As a EL fan, this is a glaring mistake. The pilot model also had two pick up rollers missing. They fixed that issue before shipping.

I will contact the seller and see what they think. I will pay the 25% restock fee if it comes to that.

Unfortunately, my hope of the correct version being produced didn’t happen. I would repaint it, but the needed decals are not produced in O scale.

Tom

·
Registered
628 Posts
View attachment 580280
View attachment 580281
Prototype 1261

Agreed. I would have to say the lettering on the MTH model (#1262) is pretty much correct when compared to the prototype picture of #1261. A prototype picture of #1262 would tell us for sure if MTH is right on the money or not.

I dunno why, but O-gauge in general always seems to have a higher-than-average offering of oddities than other scales. Maybe just my imagination?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Hmm. I read about many people sending Lionel stuff back because the colors weren’t right.

MTH didn’t have it in a catalog. It was shown on Muffins site and I commented then how it wasn’t correct.

As a EL fan, this is a glaring mistake. The pilot model also had two pick up rollers missing. They fixed that issue before shipping.

I will contact the seller and see what they think. I will pay the 25% restock fee if it comes to that.

Unfortunately, my hope of the correct version being produced didn’t happen. I would repaint it, but the needed decals are not produced in O scale.

Tom
Steve is usually pretty good on returns If you catch him on the right day. Good luck.

Pete

1 - 20 of 35 Posts