Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they peaked my interest. The 2-8-0 steamers is the only wheel arrangement I don't have for steam engines. I've been going smaller for my steam engines purchases of late. Maine Central or NYC?

Also like the B&M wood sided passenger cars but 400 retail for two!!!!o_O I know going price will be around 350 but still:oops:

So no pre-orders for me. been burned to many times with defective product or bad paint jobs from Lionel. I'll wait until they hit the streets and the reviews.

Thoughts????

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree $400 is steep for two plastic passenger cars. Charles Ro near you will probably have them for $320 as a pre-order, as you likely know. Will wait and look at the whole catalog, but I'm not buying much at this point in life. Addition of the MTH tooling adds to the already substantial variety of products Lionel offers, so that's a good thing.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Charles Ro may offer the cars for less but Lionel has them MAPed for 10% off or $360 in this case. I know RO sometimes has lower than MAPed prices. They did on the E7s. Not many other dealers do that though.

Pete

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charles Ro may offer the cars for less but Lionel has them MAPed for 10% off or $360 in this case. I know RO sometimes has lower than MAPed prices. They did on the E7s. Not many other dealers do that though.

Pete
Really doesn't matter what CharlesRo offers them at. Being a Masshole, they would charge tax, off setting any discount.

Check out this slick video. Wish they would put this much effort in the Quality.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If this engine is all new tooling, why did they screw up the drivers so badly? Compare the prototype image at 1:27 in the above video to the model image at 1:53. The model drivers are way too small and WAY too widely spaced. Maybe they figured that since people didn't care about driver spacing on their PRR H9/H10/whatever, they won't care on this model either. Different price point though. I'm sure people will gush over this engine, as long as they don't look too closely at the prototype.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Here's my post from another forum...

Lionel has never been shy about bumping prices. But these are absolutely ridiculous. Ironically, I can appreciate "some" of the price increases being attributed to the crazy situation with shipping containers right now, since the importers are taking it in the teeth currently. But there really does come a time when pushing the price envelope too drastically will force buyers to turn away. And I think we're now there. Perhaps not for everyone to bag it, but many will. Or they'll just buy on the secondary market.

One of the most notable metrics of price absurdity is Lionel's $200 MSRP for EACH woodside passenger car... reportedly the same product as that offered over the years by MTH, and whose tooling was recently purchased by Lionel. I recall the ones I purchased several years ago had a street price of $70 per car -- discounted from an $80-$90 MSRP. The most recent MTH offerings carried a $110 MSRP, and dealers sold them for approx. $90 each.

Nicholas Smith Trains ran a "special run" Strasburg RR 5-pack, which they're selling for $450. Simple math will tell you that's $90 per car. I'm gonna guess with Lionel's $400 MSRP for a 2-pack of their similar/identical offering, dealers will be selling the 2-packs for a street price of roughly $360 (or $180 per car). HUGE INCREASE for no added value whatsoever.

Somehow I'm not compelled to buy Lionel, when MTH products are still in the marketplace for HALF the price. Howard & Company will need to look elsewhere to fund their salaries and retirement plans, because I'm not gonna do it. Nicholas Smith's website shows they have 2 of the Strasburg RR 5-pack's remaining in stock (at the time of this post). And I predict these will be snatched up rather quickly now. The bright green paint-scheme is pretty cool. I own a set, and they're very nicely detailed. MTH hit a grand slam with those woodsided passenger cars.

P.S. Dang!!! Charles Ro has ALWAYS been very aggressive with their passenger car pricing. And they're continuing the tradition in this catalog. They're selling the individual Strasburg RR woodside observation cars at $150/each, and the 2-packs at $288 for both cars. That's $144 per car... still up significantly from MTH prices, but noticeably lower than other dealer pricing for these cars.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
MTH tooling on the woodsided passenger cars, will they be done in the MTH factory? From what I understand, tooling can't be moved from factory to factory.
Many years ago, I joked about Chinese factories making products for different importers. And they'd simply hang a welcome sign out for whichever executive team was visiting the factory that week. I guess there's now more truth to that than we ever wanted to believe. :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've been looking for the MTH B&M woodsided passenger cars made many years ago for a long while now and have found NONE!!!!! For some roads Lionel is the only game in town. So what is one to do with these prices. Don't buy, buy??? I'll wait for them to hit the street and decide then.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Well, I've been looking for the MTH B&M woodsided passenger cars made many years ago for a long while now and have found NONE!!!!! For some roads Lionel is the only game in town. So what is one to do with these prices. Don't buy, buy??? I'll wait for them to hit the street and decide then.
Gary, for what Lionel is charging, you could have picked up a few MTH cars and have Harry Hieke take care of it for you. :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gary, for what Lionel is charging, you could have picked up a few MTH cars and have Harry Hieke take care of it for you. :D
The thought has crossed my mind. Find one of the offerings close to the B&M version and just have them re-lettered.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
OK guys, when you're going to grouse about prices, how about STATING the prices.
What does Lionel want for the Strasburg 2-10-0 ?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK guys, when you're going to grouse about prices, how about STATING the prices.
What does Lionel want for the Strasburg 2-10-0 ?
Mr. Muffins has them just north of 1700.00 Which is right where 3rdrail is offering the H10 mikes for. A full brass engine but that's 2019 pricing. Scott is good at honoring his prices but with all the price increases on everything I wonder if he can stick to that price. Sorry I wondered. Back to Lionel catalog.:geek:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
As for woodsided cars, I bought some unlettered coaches from Beth, who still has a few lettered for other roads. I picked up a combine and repainted and lettered it myself. Still looking for a baggage car though. If anyone has one or knows of one I have a Long Island coach to trade.
Ro may be toeing the line in regards to Lionel’s MAP pricing. If you think you want something and prefer another dealer, call them and ask their price. MAP refers to advertised price. They can still sell an item for whatever they want.
Another possible strategy. If you are in a club and many members want an item maybe a dealer would offer a package deal.
Pete

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
1899 is list price. Keep an eye on the other dealers. Lionel implied there wouldn’t be any discount on these like the Golden Spike engines.

Pete

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm only interested in diesels and usually only midwest road names. Ordinarily, there are still lots to choose from. This catalog only has one, an SD45 in Burlington Northern. I already have an SD45-2 in that same paint so I'm not tempted. I liked the idea of the matching dummy SuperBass units until I saw the MSRP: $500!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Also, I see they now have the MTH tooling for the barn accessory. I checked my records and I paid $55 delivered for that in 2018. Lionel MSRP: $150. :oops:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts