Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Yes, the 2-8-0s got my attention on the first pass. Will definately get an ATSF one. Otherwise some nice locos but not sure. The new brass hybrid is nice but too pricey for a loco that has looks that I just dont really like. Nice passenger cars, though. I might get some of those to go with the 2-8-0.

Will look through it tomorrow morning more closely and no doubt find some other stuff I must have.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I sold my MTH 64' passenger car set years ago. I had thought of replacing them, but not now! Glad I can build LaBelle kits! 2-bay hoppers are $100.00 each. Lionchief Hudson for $600.00. I hate to be like this, but Lionel has priced me out of the market. I liked the catalog a lot, but I just can't justify the prices anymore.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm only interested in diesels and usually only midwest road names. Ordinarily, there are still lots to choose from. This catalog only has one, an SD45 in Burlington Northern. I already have an SD45-2 in that same paint so I'm not tempted. I liked the idea of the matching dummy SuperBass units until I saw the MSRP: $500!
I have that barn and would give it away
Nice catalog, others will enjoy.

Crazy street prices.
You aren’t a buyer? Why not?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I sold my MTH 64' passenger car set years ago. I had thought of replacing them, but not now! Glad I can build LaBelle kits! 2-bay hoppers are $100.00 each. Lionchief Hudson for $600.00. I hate to be like this, but Lionel has priced me out of the market. I liked the catalog a lot, but I just can't justify the prices anymore.
Interesting. Who is the buyer then? Guys making $300,000 or more a year where a $1500 locomotive does not warrant a 2nd thought?
I am not a cheapskate but because I run conventional I do have a limit. I would say for a nice AB locomotive new I have paid on average $700 for MTH Premier. I have not purchased a new Legacy Lionel locomotive for awhile but those were $750 or so for an A.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
The #90 is getting most of the press but I was just as struck by the $150.00 caboose and $600.00 2046 Hudson. Wait, its got bluetooth and numbered 773.

Pete

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I saw this kind of thing with of all things: bicycle helmets. There used to be two big brands in the us -- separate companies. And so helmets were pretty affordable at all the various levels offered. Then one co bought the other and prices were jacked across the board. This was especially true at the top end offerings.

It's hard to see a way out of the problem in this case ...

·
Registered
872 Posts
I saw this kind of thing with of all things: bicycle helmets. There used to be two big brands in the us -- separate companies. And so helmets were pretty affordable at all the various levels offered. Then one co bought the other and prices were jacked across the board. This was especially true at the top end offerings.

It's hard to see a way out of the problem in this case ...
I would agree. I personally don’t think Atlas and Williams are up to the challenge but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The 2-8-0’s in the new Lionel 2021 v2 catalog are they the same as the Legacy H10’s sans the swinging bell. If so I may buy a couple with the intent to resell.

I had the original Legacy re-release of the H-10 a couple of years ago. I bought the H10 set along with the LI version and bought an still have the Western Lines version.

I could not give away the set at any price, broke it up and sold off the rolling stock along with the engine at a loss. I did recoup my cost or the H10 LI version.

Now these engines are selling for upwards of $900 in spite of the comments about the colors of the boiler front.

Boy, I wished I held on to not only the engines but the H10 set I could have made a nice profit.

So. I’m inclined to order three of the new 2-8-0’s in the 2021 v2 catalog and hang on to them until the value goes up like it did with the H10’s. Who knows they may have the swinging bell feature as well.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Well, I am ordering one 2-8-0. Only thing from the catalog. The C-liners are interesting, and if there was a B unit, maybe, but . . . no.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The 2-8-0’s in the new Lionel 2021 v2 catalog are they the same as the Legacy H10’s sans the swinging bell. If so I may buy a couple with the intent to resell.

I had the original Legacy re-release of the H-10 a couple of years ago. I bought the H10 set along with the LI version and bought an still have the Western Lines version.

I could not give away the set at any price, broke it up and sold off the rolling stock along with the engine at a loss. I did recoup my cost or the H10 LI version.

Now these engines are selling for upwards of $900 in spite of the comments about the colors of the boiler front.

Boy, I wished I held on to not only the engines but the H10 set I could have made a nice profit.

So. I’m inclined to order three of the new 2-8-0’s in the 2021 v2 catalog and hang on to them until the value goes up like it did with the H10’s. Who knows they may have the swinging bell feature as well.
If that’s what you do as your interest in the hobby that’s fine but most of us are in the hobby to run trains not make a profit on purchases.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If the Strasburg #90 was sanely priced, I'd probably order it. $1900 is NOT sanely priced! That's Vision line pricing.
Like Rocky Mountain said on page one, have we reached the ceiling when it comes to these prices? Will the strasburg engines get enough orders to be made?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Judging from comments on some of the other forums, I would say the ceiling hasn't been reached. Most people seem to be taking the price increases in stride. I've been "conditioned" to annual price increases myself, but for some reason this latest one was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. New train purchases for me the last couple years have been a "guilty pleasure" saved for special occasions. Even at street pricing, I just can't see paying for these things anymore. Perhaps I'm just getting old, but I don't see the value for the $ anymore. Not trying to be negative, this is just where I'm at right now.

·
Admin
45,596 Posts
I didn't think the new 10-wheeler prices were totally out of line, $700 street price seemed fairly reasonable. However, the #90 at a street price of $1700 is NOT reasonable, it's not that different than the 10-wheeler from a few month ago! Since that $700 was for the same road name on the Nicholas Smith special Strasburg model, I don't see it as a licensing cost issue either.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The price of the 10 Wheelers is $599 not $700.

And yes I like making a profit once in a while but I still enjoy the hobby. So, if I picked up three of the 10 Wheelers for $600 each and resold them two years later for around a grand that does not make me a bad person and I’m not the only one on this forum that likes to make a profit in the hobby.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts