Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
The price of the 10 Wheelers is $599 not $700.

And yes I like making a profit once in a while but I still enjoy the hobby. So, if I picked up three of the 10 Wheelers for $600 each and resold them two years later for around a grand that does not make me a bad person and I’m not the only one on this forum that likes to make a profit in the hobby.
Did you buy the last run from last year or a few years ago. They have done the ten wheelers many times. I have a TMCC and 2 Legacy engines all from different years and prior to this last one. That likely explains the price difference.

Pete

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Folks, I don't think the dust has fully settled on Strasburg #90 pricing yet.

The best "no strings attached" pre-order price is Charles Ro's $1750 with no deposit required. The early-buy price is good through 8/26/2021. After that, the price is $1900 MSRP.

A few dealers like Legacy Station and Nassau Hobbies have a pre-order price of $1710, but they require a 10% non-refundable deposit. So if Lionel screws up something along the way, you're not gonna be happy... and you'll be out $171.

Other places like Trainworld and Mr. Muffin's Trains have no pre-order discounts. No deposits required, but the price is straight $1900 MSRP. Seems a bit odd, but that's what their websites are showing currently.

Me personally? I'll gladly pass on this offering. I have no interest in spending $1,900 or even $1,750 for a Strasburg #90 in a 2-10-0 configuration... brass or otherwise. I recently snagged 2 MTH Blue Mountain & Reading T-1's from MTH's most recent production run for less than $1,100/each... one "We The People" model, and one steamer done in a gorgeous blue paint-scheme that wasn't even illustrated properly in the catalog. Both have whistle-steam AND improved sound files. Lionel Legacy Railsounds still brings home the bacon for audio standards, but their T-1 also carried a street-price of $1,500. And I didn't think it was worth spending $400 more for it.

So I'm certainly not gonna spend $1,900 for ONE 2-10-0 steamer, when I just spent a bit north of $2K for TWO T-1's from MTH that are stunning. For those of you who want to pre-order one, more power to ya. Go for it. I'm sure Lionel's management will be grinning ear-to-ear as they tally their sales. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good Evening Everyone,

My Lionel Easter Egg mint green Texas & Pacific Legacy 4-6-0 from the latest run several months ago was $620. The 2-8-0's in this latest catalog aren't too out of line pricewise. But like everyone has already commented, the brass hybrid 2-10-0's and the 64' woodsided passenger cars prices are pretty annoying. For me personally, I am probably going to suck it up and purchase the #90 Strasburg 2-10-0 with the old "egg" logo and striping. Reason being is that I already own 3 sets of the Strasburg MTH 64' woodsided cars. 2 custom run sets from Nicholas Smith(the 1960's/early 1970's green & yellow set and the 1980's red set) and the latest run of the MTH maroon/black cars. I have the latest MTH Strasburg Premier 4-4-0 and have been waiting for someone to do the Strasburg #90, so I'm in for one. Don't have to worry about buying the Lionel $160 per car Strasburg 64' ones. Has anyone noticed the price jump of all the older MTH 64' woodsided passenger cars on Ebay, whether new or used. They're now each $150 & up and that's mostly for the older cars with the incandescent bulb lighting-not the leds. Approx 6-7 months ago I bought a set of custom run undecorated Pullman green 64'woodsided cars from Public Delivery Track for I believe $104 each. They are sold out of those but still have some custom Rock Island and Raritan River coaches but the price is now $149 each! Anyway the #90 will be my only engine purchase in the coming year. Everyone is in their own situation with their own choices and opinions-wouldn't be any fun if we were all the same-LOL

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well, you've one-upped me, the price of the special run of the Strasburg 10-Wheeler at Nicholas Smith was indeed $700. I also have the METCA special PRR run, it was also $700.
Nassau Hobbies has the best price at $599 but requires a non-refundable deposit of 10%. Several others are offering them for $675 with no deposit required. Mario’s trains is offering $675 shipped free.

So, I’m on the fence right now as to take the chance that these will be in demand. Will lightning strike twice.

BTW: There was a time in the nineties where you could buy several Lionel items and a few months later sell them off to pay for one that you would keep. I don’t think that holds true these days.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Did you buy the last run from last year or a few years ago. They have done the ten wheelers many times. I have a TMCC and 2 Legacy engines all from different years and prior to this last one. That likely explains the price difference.

Pete
Yes, I bought the Legacy H10 coal hauler set and the Legacy Long Island and Western Pennsylvania versions. I think they were in the 2019 V1 catalog. I sold off the LI and the PRR version from the set and then sold off the rolling stock from the set.

I wish I had held on to the H10’s and the set. They have more than doubled in value. Right now there is one H10 used on e-bay with a buy it now price of $1299. The last completed auction price I saw was around $900 for one of the PRR versions.

Only the Legacy H10’s are commanding these high prices the others sell for much less.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Nick, beautiful job on the ten wheeler. I know that was a lot of work. As for the woodsided cars it looks like Beth has jumped on the bandwagon. A few days ago those cars were 134. I forgot what I paid for my undecs but believe it was even lower than that. Can’t blame her though. She has done the same with the Weaver 60’ head end cars. Those used to go for 60 bucks at York. Now the price has at least doubled. Even at the double the price she would have done better in the stock market.

As for the 2-8-0s Lionel first did these in 2001. They are SP-UP engines and came with number boards and vanderbilt tenders. Google Southern Pacific C-5 2-8-0 if you want to see the prototype. They released them later lettered for other roads including NYC and B&O with coal tenders but retaining their number boards. Trainz has a B&O now at half the price of Lionel’s new one.
It may resemble some of the roads that Lionel and others are doing but the engine is still that same casting minus the number boards.

Pete

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
... Can’t blame her though. She has done the same with the Weaver 60’ head end cars. Those used to go for 60 bucks at York. Now the price has at least doubled. ...
Personally, I'm no fan of those Weaver head-end cars. The interiors are awful when you peer in, and I promptly shipped the Lionel versions from Weaver tooling back to the dealer. They weren't worth the original price -- much less the newly doubled prices. Enthusiasts are their own worst enemy for buying this crap.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I picked up an ex Weaver RPO done by Lionel for around 110 shipped from Ro. I would have preferred a 3rd Rail car but Scott decided not to do his SP Harriman cars in Daylight colors. Fact is only a handful of round roof and clerestory roof heavyweights were painted Daylight but an RPO or two were among them. I think they are worth 60 bucks but 160 is insane.

Pete

·
Registered
O Scale MTH and Lionel 1952 set and newer
33 Posts
Something about these prices just "feels" wrong. Think about the recent (say last 5-10 years) gradual increases in prices. MTH both the Rail King and Premier had components that made you feel like the price was worth it. I think this established a pattern of sorts. Trying to find a similar hobby that experiences this - the only thing that I can come up with is hot-rodding (cars).

I can't guess the number of people out there that are fine with these new prices. Has to be a number that is very small. Not even looking at the Strasburg - how about over $150 for a caboose? Not something I am ever, ever, going to consider.

Perhaps I need to start building kits (at least for general rolling stock - not necessarily engines). I think there may be more satisfaction, and less cost, than this silliness.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Regarding prices, I wouldn't say I'm a cheapskate. God knows I've spent a lot on this stuff. But $1000 for engine is tough hurdle for me. I'm not into steam engines so that's usually not an issue. But I tried to stick my toes in those waters once. I bought a Lionel Mikado a couple years ago. It had a misspelled tender. I took that as a sign that I should stay away from steam engines and returned it for a refund.

That said, part of me doesn't really care if Lionel raise the prices again and again. Maybe they figure they should raise prices until such time as their orders actually go down? But it doesn't really matter, right? Just like at the store: I see the price for an item, I think it's too high, so I put it down and walk away. I don't raise hell about it or demand they start lowering the prices. That's just the price. Take it or leave it. Of course, I'm a johnny-come-lately to this hobby. Maybe if I'd been around for years and years, I would be apoplectic about it. :unsure:

·
Registered
872 Posts
I can't guess the number of people out there that are fine with these new prices. Has to be a number that is very small. Not even looking at the Strasburg - how about over $150 for a caboose? Not something I am ever, ever, going to consider.

That is part of the issue. The forum community is a small part of the buying hobby. We can only guess at the number they will sell. Me? I must get back on a budget. I dropped $3500 on MTH's last 2 catalogs. Some of those Rail King items I have already sold at a loss. I'm not a good seller.

I have no idea what this Strasburg steamer is but I have seen a few forum members discuss it vigorously. It must be an "in demand" steam locomotive. I used to be in the old car hobby. Local festivals were filled with salt and pepper haired retirees with muscle cars that they just "plugged and played".

So do we not know if there is an equal number - in the hundreds of thousands - of O Scale geeks with retirement money to burn?

·
Registered
165 Posts
In my business we are seeing insane price increase in a lot of the electronics we buy. Doesn't excuse Lionel but it ain't just them. I imagine being a smaller player in many of these plants doesn't help.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Lumber prices ... In 2019 I bought 4' x 8' by 7/16" OSB sheets for my train platform. Back then I paid $8.97 a sheet.

Today's price
OSB.png

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
1990's version Strasburg #90 (red roof, pinstripes) is my "Holy Grail" locomotive! I've been wanting this made for over 30 years. Not a fan of the heavy price, but it may be a long long time before we see it again, even though the catalog says more variations are coming in the future. I'm not going to hang my engineer's hat on that! Luckily I already have the MTH Strasburg wood sided passenger car set.

The "B" list includes: PRR and Milwaukee Road SuperBass SD45 BNSF Coal Train set and add on hoppers Tough Guy Gym and Fitness building - (I got a chuckle out of that!)

I like the 2-8-0's but have too many preorders looming. Same for a UP 4-12-2's, I always liked the big steam but never pulled the trigger on them.

Now we wait for the cancellation lists.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts