Model Train Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Cancelation Lists?
While many will balk at these new prices, I suspect a sufficient enough will buy anyway. So the cancellation list might be shorter than you'd expect. Just browse the forums and you'll find plenty of examples of folks rationalizing six ways to Sunday why they're gonna buy at these price-points. And if that makes them happy, that's fine. But then they also need to understand they're doing exactly what Lionel is expecting. As I said in another post/thread, we can be our own worst enemies at times... because we all too often can't say "No". Lionel knows it, and that's why they can keep pushing the pricing envelope higher and higher. They know their market VERY well, and their view is short-sighted enough that they don't care if each year brings on more folks who don't buy. They're not in this game to be good corporate citizens. They're out to make a profit any way they can. Seriously, did you EVER imagine paying nearly $2K for a 2-10-0 steamer?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
While many will balk at these new prices, I suspect a sufficient enough will buy anyway. So the cancellation list might be shorter than you'd expect. Just browse the forums and you'll find plenty of examples of folks rationalizing six ways to Sunday why they're gonna buy at these price-points. And if that makes them happy, that's fine. But then they also need to understand they're doing exactly what Lionel is expecting. As I said in another post/thread, we can be our own worst enemies at times... because we all too often can't say "No". Lionel knows it, and that's why they can keep pushing the pricing envelope higher and higher. They know their market VERY well, and their view is short-sighted enough that they don't care if each year brings on more folks who don't buy. They're not in this game to be good corporate citizens. They're out to make a profit any way they can. Seriously, did you EVER imagine paying nearly $2K for a 2-10-0 steamer?
But Rocky, it's a brass hybrid.🤓

·
Registered
872 Posts
I had the money to buy the Rock Island E7 AA from the last catalog, which came in as we know at $1000, so my LHS would have given me a 10% discount to $900 + Iowa sales tax it would have come in at $980. My understanding is these were nice trains, are nice trains. Heard a couple of gripes. But I can not afford to do that when I can get "used" stuff for a lot less, especially since I run conventional.

I once heard that luxury car makers made a lot more "profit" then the inexpensive makes. Maybe Lionel is approaching the market place the "right" way. That's sad. I'll go back and look but they would need to offer a Legacy Diesel at around $699, "maybe" $749 - in a road name I collect and model not previously seen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe it’s because MTH threw in the towel and quit making O gauge for less money? That’s why I bought MTH in the early 2000. Just a thought! Been wrong before.

I did see one I’d like. A 2-6-6-4. For 1k.

·
Registered
O Scale MTH and Lionel 1952 set and newer
33 Posts
Regarding prices, I wouldn't say I'm a cheapskate. God knows I've spent a lot on this stuff. But $1000 for engine is tough hurdle for me. I'm not into steam engines so that's usually not an issue. But I tried to stick my toes in those waters once. I bought a Lionel Mikado a couple years ago. It had a misspelled tender. I took that as a sign that I should stay away from steam engines and returned it for a refund.

That said, part of me doesn't really care if Lionel raise the prices again and again. Maybe they figure they should raise prices until such time as their orders actually go down? But it doesn't really matter, right? Just like at the store: I see the price for an item, I think it's too high, so I put it down and walk away. I don't raise hell about it or demand they start lowering the prices. That's just the price. Take it or leave it. Of course, I'm a johnny-come-lately to this hobby. Maybe if I'd been around for years and years, I would be apoplectic about it. :unsure:
I agree entirely! Let's see what happens to the hobby - I would imagine train shows will be a little more interesting. Either people think their stuff is now magically worth more, or some will dump their collections.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Maybe it’s because MTH threw in the towel and quit making O gauge for less money? That’s why I bought MTH in the early 2000. Just a thought! Been wrong before.

I did see one I’d like. A 2-6-6-4. For 1k.
Wow Pjdog, first thing I noticed was you joined in 2013 (almost 9 years ago) and have a total of 7 posts. Less than one per year. This forum has a few regulars and I suspect a lot of lurkers (lookers) who never chime in. I am sure your input would have been appreciated since you started buying MTH in the early 2000's.

I am sure that Lionel has increased their pricing because MTH is not keeping them honest, yes. The MTH closure saga has been going on now for 2 years more or less. That's plenty of lead time for Lionel's BOD to get together and have a grand party regarding their major competition bowing out.

Imagine if FORD* announced it was ceasing operation at the end of (fill in the blank). GM and Mary Barra would be dancing in the halls! *Chrysler is largely a foreign owned business now.

So it is with Lionel. Each catalog is going to raise prices $100 to $200 per item (locomotives) and $10 per rolling stock. And there will be less options, less offerings. Take it or leave it.

I just placed a pre order with ATLAS in the amount of $1000. They have items in my road names and newly never seen rolling stock in area names. I hope Atlas expands, but we will see.

I have "zero" orders from the new Lionel catalog. I would buy rolling stock maybe but their prices are $10 to $35 more than "used" on the bay now. And I don't need those.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If Ford where to stop making cars I’ll be walking. I have not had anything but a ford (F150) sense 1980!
I’ve been doing to gauge trains sense I was a kid. I only had Lionel all these years. But at 80 years old I think I need to stop buying anything. I was really shocked a few months ago when I found out that Marx had 50 million in sale in 1955. Lionel 35 million. I thought Lionel was the toy train king? I always passed on Marx. But I’ve seen some really nice Marx lately and they are big bucks?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
If Ford where to stop making cars I’ll be walking. I have not had anything but a ford (F150) sense 1980!
I’ve been doing to gauge trains sense I was a kid. I only had Lionel all these years. But at 80 years old I think I need to stop buying anything. I was really shocked a few months ago when I found out that Marx had 50 million in sale in 1955. Lionel 35 million. I thought Lionel was the toy train king? I always passed on Marx. But I’ve seen some really nice Marx lately and they are big bucks?
Marx had other toys besides trains. And Marx usually outsold Lionel in train volume. They were cheaper for the middle classes.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yes, Gary. And only in Lionelville does the same catalog have both a 2-8-0 street-priced at $620... and for an extra pair of drivers on a 2-10-0 brass hybrid, enthusiasts can cough up over $1,100 more. That's an extra hefty pair of pricey drivers. ;)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
While many will balk at these new prices, I suspect a sufficient enough will buy anyway. . . .
I will be one who does buy. Often.

What choice do we really have? We keep saying that we want more quality and more made-in-America, and know that means higher prices, and then complain when it happens. I am not saying Lionel hasn't made gobs of mistakes, but . . . inevitable is inevitable. Who else is there? It is going to happen . . . I'm going to be careful and think through each pruchase, and no doubt will have some disappointments, but . . .

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
easy don’t purchase. Two things will happen, Lionel will go out of business or get smart and lower the price. Remember Lionel is owned by investment firm who’s only goal is to make money for their investor. As much money as they possible can. Now there’s been a ton of product over the last twenty years. There should be plenty of used product for everybody on the market. I’m at a point where I have all the most have locomotive, I have no room for any more rolling stock.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yes I have plenty. I will buy from new Lionel catalogs only when they offer rate never seen or rarely seen offerings in my 3 road names. Or rolling stock with names from my region.
The Atlas catalog has hoppers from Clinton Corn (Clinton , Iowa). My dad worked there in the 60’s. Had to get both road numbers at $70 each or so.
If I see that in the next Lionel catalog I will buy even at their inflated price. But I have not seen anything in Lionels last 2 catalogs.
I will say this - MTH had a lot of locomotives in their last two catalogs I had to have. I now have them but except for my MTH purchase from Berwyns in Chicago MTH is not a future option.
Don’t need anything so if Lionel wants my business they need to come out with an Erie Built FM Olympian Hiawatha- they could almost name their price up to $1500 - or Burlington Route SD45 maybe. There are plenty of Rock Island locomotives they could make that have never been made. They do? I’m a buyer. But their last catalog AA E7 for $1000 was not enough. I have 4 different E’s in the Rock and an Alco PA set.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts