Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voltages

most of my n-scale steamers need at least 14vdc to kick off. What do you mean 10.5 across terminals, is that full throttle? I am thinking that most cheaper non-dcc powerpacks probably use a 20-24 vac tranny with a wave bridge recifier, hence the dc would be slightly less.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,684 Posts
That's sounds right. Rail voltage is the same it will be lower due to resistance.I will get back to you on the 10.5 question.

TEST: The old Tyco read 19 volts DC. The MRC 2800 read 10.5 forward but only 7 with the reverse button. These readings are at the terminals.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Voltage

10.5 on the MRC, are you kidding me. Most of my HO stuff and n scale steamers would not run with those voltages.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
10.5 on the MRC, are you kidding me. Most of my HO stuff and n scale steamers would not run with those voltages.
yes they will. engine starting voltage is about 2.5-3V (unless you have tons of crud in there increasing your 'sticktion')

but its not really he voltage that you care about, its voltage + current. put a voltmeter across your terminals and no electrical load. it will be 18V no matter what position you set the throttle to, even at 0. as soon as you put engine on, you will see voltage drop. 12-14V at full throttle and free running engine is about right. put heavier load on the engine and you see voltages drop even more.
when you increase throttle you increasing VA not only V

although it is perhaps not measurable as well on mrc tech2 because at lower power settings its actually doing very nice job of pulsing the power to achieve its awesome low speed control.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,684 Posts
First it is not a simple throttle. It has an electronic pulse and is designed for veeeryyy sslllllooow starting. Speed and power isn't everything. It' a tech ll 2800 two throttle. My old engines work fine. They are all old.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Voltages

I put a meter on the tracks and checked it while running. It is around 5v on start up so the load voltages vs. non-load voltages are way different. I was measuring non-load when I said my transformer was around 18v.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts