Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I let some kids use the train table and one of them pushed the thumb wheel hard enough to break the plastic on the mount. I've glued it a number of times since then and this weekend it broke again. This time while trying to fix it the wires finally gave way and broke off right at the solder joints even though I was being careful. Just wondering which color goes to which pad on the thumb wheel circuit board.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Games Electronic engineering

This time I added a piece of servo horn plastic to the repair to bridge the break. I'll probably end up having to replace it completely eventually though.

Auto part Electronics

·
Admin
45,965 Posts
The wire colors are not 100% consistent. However, the good news is, if you get them wrong you probably won't do any damage, it's just a passive contact encoder wheel.

That being said, the new one I have here has red near the outside edge, yellow in the middle, and green toward the thumbwheel.

Networking cables Electrical wiring Wire Cable Electrical connector

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
The wire colors are not 100% consistent. However, the good news is, if you get them wrong you probably won't do any damage, it's just a passive contact encoder wheel.

That being said, the new one I have here has red near the outside edge, yellow in the middle, and green toward the thumbwheel.

John;are we able to order this wheel assembly from MTH?

·
Admin
45,965 Posts
Funny you ask, I just entered an MTH order and it's listed as NOT AVAILABLE. I keep some in stock, but I'm down to my last one, they're a frequent failure item.

If you have an issue with the thumbwheel, other than it being broken, I slide them out and hose them down with contact cleaner, sometimes that gets their mind right.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it soldered back up and everything is working but I don't think my fix for the broken bracket is going to last very long. I can already hear it cracking each time I push it in. I think it's time to try and find a new one or move to the wifi thing.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm sure that MTH should get more, I know I'm being very careful with my remotes now so as not to break them. :D
In my opinion the APP is a joke and unless that changes. MTH decision to stop production of the remote is a big mistake.

Knock on wood my thumb wheel has been problem free to date. Thanks for sharing the pics if I ever need to repair my remote.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
In my opinion the APP is a joke and unless that changes. MTH decision to stop production of the remote is a big mistake.
I heard that MTH reversed the decision to stop production of the remote...right after I bought a spare remote. There appears to be plenty of them in stock at dealers.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info. I was looking at the app and it does look pretty meh. The worst part I think is that they have stuck a lot of functionality behind in app purchases. If I upgrade to wifi that's a $175 new piece of hardware I have to buy. Why then stick features behind a paywall when they can easily detect which base they are talking to and restrict it that way. Nickle and diming it seems. Doesn't make me feel to good about that $175 purchase I have to make to begin with on top of the full TIU.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts