Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the boom tender is finished… (famous last words) got serious on the crane.
A long way to go weathering,rigging and two more modules to glue up but Its not horrible. I’ll probably never be 100% happy with any model so shooting for a solid B- on this one. Last pic the handle reacted with adhesive got bit melty (had 2 primers used 1 no bueno) think I can rig a cover tho once installed in cab can’t really see it very well.
Automotive tire Gas Machine Auto part Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Machine
Gas Plastic Machine Font Toy

Reactions: OilValleyRy

·
Registered
875 Posts
Gosh, those kits are really detailed. It looks like they might even be motorized?
Will you be able to install a decoder or non layout controls and run a motor to raise and lower?
Sure looks capable. I can already see the gears turning....

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gosh, those kits are really detailed. It looks like they might even be motorized?
Will you be able to install a decoder or non layout controls and run a motor to raise and lower?
Sure looks capable. I can already see the gears turning....
I forget who but a gent did motorize this model added dcc decoder and sound! Wild to see it working in video I saw. Not sure if it was a link from a thread here or stumbled on researching color schemes.
The model as it comes can be posed with operational rigging but this one’s getting locked down for running :)

• Wow
Reactions: SF Gal

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The yellows add a nice color pop.
Yeah I wanted to pretty her up. Show how maint crew spent downtime pampering her compared to tender.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This vid has the custom sounds in crane

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trying to get a greased look to teeth on gearing. Used vallejo water effect with cpl drops of wash and some ground black chalk to thicken it a bit. it’s not bad but still not “mushy” looking.
Wheel Automotive tire Rim Wood Gas
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey
Automotive tire Grey Motor vehicle Automotive design Machine

Reactions: SF Gal

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car is assembled time for decals then weathering. Learned quite a bit on this car. Going to have to build another to apply it
Hand Tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire
Engineering Gas Electronic engineering Machine Composite material

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I built one of those kits a few years back as my first real model kit build. It was tedious but fun and the end result was worth it. The real crane that I was building mine to resemble is mostly painted black so I had an easy time with the paint job. I like your paint work as it makes all the little details pop a lot better than the basic black paint job mine has.

It's a very well detailed kit that very closely resembles the real ones. Having operated the real one I was modeling my kit after, I had a fun time comparing the model details to the prototype as I assembled it.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I built one of those kits a few years back as my first real model kit build. It was tedious but fun and the end result was worth it. The real crane that I was building mine to resemble is mostly painted black so I had an easy time with the paint job. I like your paint work as it makes all the little details pop a lot better than the basic black paint job mine has.

It's a very well detailed kit that very closely resembles the real ones. Having operated the real one I was modeling my kit after, I had a fun time comparing the model details to the prototype as I assembled it.
Thanks I found a few paint schemes and blended them to try and highlight the parts. Not rl proto but how it is in my world :). I wondered how close details were to the real deal crane. Very cool to hear that it’s close to what you actually ran.
I will revisit this kit and do it strictly in a faded black paint as it was a fun challenging (at least for my level) kit.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks :) Its a great little kit so much detail really fun model.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sooooo…. Its a long wait between gloss coats minimizing the decals edges! Have coated three times now hope tomorrow can weather it up. In the mean time worked on more detail items. Made a hasp to hang my padlock on and finished a first attempt at rope bundle to hang from a wire. Not sure why it was important to me the the padlock actually hung freely on the hasp….Not my brightest idea but got it to work in end tho I need to touch up paint when glues dries.
Textile Wood Interior design Gas Plant
Insect Arthropod Pollinator Wood Gas
Automotive tire Fluid Gas Liquid Electric blue
Automotive tire Cuisine Ingredient Dish Gas
Food Tableware Cake Automotive tire Ingredient
Automotive tire Gas Composite material Cylinder Machine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts