Model Train Forum banner

261 - 280 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
I am really pumped about this.

There was a workbench thread not too long ago where one of us posted a workbench that Walmart had on sale for $49. (There is a photo of it in the thread.)

In that thread, I replied that I had one of those very workbenches and I, too, had found it on sale at that price.

That deal had dried up a while ago at my local store.

Well, the other day I saw that they had four more on the sales floor, and again at $49. I went home, thought about it a couple of days, and decided to pull the trigger on one. I returned to the store, all four were still there, and I grabbed the carton that seemed the least beat up.

Took it home, put it together, and it is my new layout stand. No more sitting my layout on cardboard boxes. It is at a better height, and the LED light, while not color-correct, is terrific for working on the layout.

A few of you have asked for some overall photos of my layout. With my previous setup it was not easy to do so. Here, finally, are some shots that show the current state of my layout. It also helps illustrate how small it is as it just barely overlaps a workbench.

20190130_192029.jpg

20190130_192142.jpg

20190130_192147.jpg

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Your benchwork cost more that you spent on the entire layout less trains. :eek: ;)

Magic
LOL. So much truth there. Excepting that switcher that I got for a few bucks from someone here, the rolling stock has been in the family forever. That trolley is from my yout (not youth, you).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for posting, Nikola. Your close ups are amazing and hide just how micro your micro layout is. I've been using a number of your techniques on "Harte's Mill Crossing" to good effect, starting with the hollow door sawed in half.

When I get done with this, will go to work on the "John Bull" micro layout, using some flex track in the manner you have described.

Waiting on the automatic reverser for the subway tube layout to come from Britain.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Thanks for posting, Nikola. Your close ups are amazing and hide just how micro your micro layout is. I've been using a number of your techniques on "Harte's Mill Crossing" to good effect, starting with the hollow door sawed in half.

When I get done with this, will go to work on the "John Bull" micro layout, using some flex track in the manner you have described.

Waiting on the automatic reverser for the subway tube layout to come from Britain.
Thank you as I am honored if anything I have done is useful for you. Soon I need to begin on structures. I want very few - maybe one. I want to echo photos one sees of street railways or rural rail lines taken between the 1880s and the 1910s, when there was track laid but hardly any infrastructure at all. I will definitely make a station for where the trolley is sitting in the one closeup.

I am totally loving your idea of a John Bull and NYC subway mini. There is so much incredible detail that can be added to the subway station or tunnel - lines, pipes, signals, trash, all sorts of things.

Please post up as you move along.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Chops, I had to take some pictures that show where my mine is.

The tracks would have crossed the 'road' and ended up somewhere, with a slight curve, along the rear rock wall.

Half the road and the mine is flooded because no one has run a pump there in, like, forever! :)

I will build some sort of timber mine entrance. Boy, if you can use actual mine wood, that is absolutely awesome.

20190201_191433.jpg

20190201_191440.jpg

20190201_191457.jpg

20190201_191525.jpg

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If you're keeping things minimal, rather than a station for the trolley you could do a simple covered platform. Maybe a loading dock at the end of the one spur (could even be a broken-down, weed-covered wood structure), a small shack by the raised spur, and some kind of crop field or grazing pasture (cows, horses, etc) to cover some space?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
If you're keeping things minimal, rather than a station for the trolley you could do a simple covered platform. Maybe a loading dock at the end of the one spur (could even be a broken-down, weed-covered wood structure), a small shack by the raised spur, and some kind of crop field or grazing pasture (cows, horses, etc) to cover some space?
Yes, I like that. I collected a bunch of photos of various types of minimal, back-country stations and they have these traits in common that you mention. Small size, simple construction, loading area, at least a partial roof overhang, etc.

Coincidentally, last night during the game I started laying out a simple structure along the lines you suggest. Great minds! It will have an enclosed waiting room and adjoining platform. The waiting room is maybe 8 x 12 scale feet, the overall will be about 22 scale feet long and the width will be maybe 12 scale feet. More or less - kind of working by eye.

I wonder if I can make a broke-down loading dock to cover that switch machine. I guess one could have a loading dock straddling a switch.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
What about a pile of rocks or a long flat boulder, scultped to cover the switch machine? And actually just a few such flat boulders scattered around might help spice it up a bit?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
What about a pile of rocks or a long flat boulder, scultped to cover the switch machine? And actually just a few such flat boulders scattered around might help spice it up a bit?
Good ideas that are also possible; maybe some of each. Unfortunately the switch machine in question is freakishly tall and large. I should have removed it before locking everything in place.

Maybe a loading dock can cover the taller section and rubble the rest of it. Good ideas!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
So what's going on with the layout? Haven't heard from you in three months!
LOL, took a quarter off.

I have done nothing on the layout. Started scratchbuilding a station, finished one little way, and have not touched anything since.

I am getting the urge to create a HO diorama for a bookcase shelf in my office.

Because I need to start more projects I never finish. LOL.

Maybe if I start poking around here I will get the urge again.

Thanks for checking in! :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well, Ima Nikola Fan. Haven't done jack on any of the micro layouts I envisioned, bought parts for, either. Finally got the subway electrical sensors and a a needed chip, but haven't turned a wheel.

I'll be watching for progress, Nikola! Hey, how well does that
little gem run? Could you shoot up a little video?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Well, Ima Nikola Fan. Haven't done jack on any of the micro layouts I envisioned, bought parts for, either. Finally got the subway electrical sensors and a a needed chip, but haven't turned a wheel.

I'll be watching for progress, Nikola! Hey, how well does that
little gem run? Could you shoot up a little video?
Thanks!

Sounds like we are both in the model rr doldrums.

Last time I ran it -- months ago now -- that little trolley was running perfectly. I should be able to make a vid. What is the recommended approach? Utube?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Might someone explain...

I was about to add a suggestion about making a mock up main line RR thru the scene, yadda yadda. A few words in I noticed the thread began in 2018 and is all within 2018, until today's posts (except mine) ?
How/why does this occur time to time where an old thread begins again with new posts as if it's a week old, and not, say, a year, sometimes 2-3 years old ?
My only guess is that a member comes across an older thread but doesn't notice the OP date and makes a reply thinking it is a recent OP. This in turn kicks it up to today's date where I/we come in, also seeing it as new..No ?.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
I was about to add a suggestion about making a mock up main line RR thru the scene, yadda yadda. A few words in I noticed the thread began in 2018 and is all within 2018, until today's posts (except mine) ?
How/why does this occur time to time where an old thread begins again with new posts as if it's a week old, and not, say, a year, sometimes 2-3 years old ?
My only guess is that a member comes across an older thread but doesn't notice the OP date and makes a reply thinking it is a recent OP. This in turn kicks it up to today's date where I/we come in, also seeing it as new..No ?.:dunno:
A dummy mainline is a terrific idea for a tiny layout. I had decided not to do it on this one. But years ago my son and I made him a tiny HO layout on a 4 foot length of 24" hollow core door. His is a dogbone roughly similar to mine but with no sidings. It has a dummy mainline cutting across one end and was also in case we ever incorporated his layout into something larger.

The dummy mainline on mine was going to be across the width, in the middle, where the creek is. Alas there was insufficient clearance under the bridges/trestles so I nixed that idea.

You are correct about old threads and posts. Many threads go fallow for whatever reason and are resurrected for whatever other reason. The people who resume posting, post, and the thread shows up in 'New Posts' which might generate additional renewed interest. Some new threads die right away, some old threads resurrect for years. It all depends. For example, the recent Big Boy news. Folks could search for 'Big Boy', find threads on the subject that are quite old, and the thread comes back to life.

In my case I spent a few months away from this place and, by coincidence upon returning, saw that an old friend had recently posted. I don't do email notifications: if I had, I would have known as soon as any thread on which I am OP has a new response.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nikola, thanks for explainations. But I think I didn't get my point across..A thread is old. And since it's old by months/years, how does it get noticed and/or loaded into today's posts since it's not (yet) visible on the 1st pages of recent posts ? Is it what I guessed; that someone is surfing the pages and doesn't notice the date of the OP and so continues to reply not realizing it's not new or even quite old ?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
@telltale - I'm the one that kicked this post, specifically because I have been following his progress with the layout and then he suddenly stopped posting. I was simply curious whether there had been any further progress. My new post in this old thread was what brought it back to the front page for you.

However I know what you're talking about... I frequently see a new person with only handful of posts commenting on a thread that is several years old. Why? My best guess is they don't want to start a new thread of their own so they dig up whatever old discussions they can find that may vaguely reference the subject they want to talk about. Honestly it's quite rude to do that, especially since in almost all cases their new discussion really has nothing to do with the old thread other than mentioning some key word.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks!

Sounds like we are both in the model rr doldrums.

Last time I ran it -- months ago now -- that little trolley was running perfectly. I should be able to make a vid. What is the recommended approach? Utube?
Youtube is what I run with. They changed up the movie editor, which used to be free, and there may be a way to upload video onto it now, but in the intermin I had to go to a fairly user friendly site called Vimeo and export my videos from there to Youtube. It would be grand to see a video.

I am a little baffled by the posts about how this post started, page one has a first post by Nikola: 02-13-2018.

261 - 280 of 286 Posts