Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm mostly a collector HO scale steamers - but I'd like to see em' run on DCC at some point. The problem is that I have some really tinny early engines from Bachmann; like the John Bull and the Rocket. I have a lot of Hornby too, but that's another story. My question is, since there's no way I'll be able to stuff an HO scale DCC decoder in these tiny little things, would it be possible to use a N-scale DCC decoder in them? Would they survive in an HO world?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
Ok, so I'm mostly a collector HO scale steamers - but I'd like to see em' run on DCC at some point. The problem is that I have some really tinny early engines from Bachmann; like the John Bull and the Rocket. I have a lot of Hornby too, but that's another story. My question is, since there's no way I'll be able to stuff an HO scale DCC decoder in these tiny little things, would it be possible to use a N-scale DCC decoder in them? Would they survive in an HO world?
To bad you couldn't mount it in the tender.:D

Don't know to much about DCC, but I do know that you can't install them on all engines.

I don't think N will work on HO, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually some N scale decoders are very compatible with HO. For instance My very large Blueline AC6000 runs on an NCE N scale decoder. You want one that has a 1 amp rating or higher. You want to make sure that the engine you are putting it in can have the motor isolated from the tracks. Most can be done but it might take some work.
They actually have Z scale dcc engines so it's definitely do able.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It is true...I currently have two N-scale decoders in HO locos and they run perfectly. I have the digitrax DN143IP decoder (works just fine in HO). I recently converted some engines over to DCC, but they weren't steamers. I don't know anything about converting the steamers, but there is a guy on youtube who shows you how to convert a steamer to DCC. It seems detailed enough to be able to walk you through it. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts