Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

Railroad Tycoon
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking I saw 9 3/4 radius, not thinking about the measurement would be double for the curve. :rolleyes:
Like I said I never laid down N track yet. Mine came all together.
A switching layout would work in the space?
Though me personally would rather have a loop.

Now if you have a grand piano you can gut the piano and do a nice layout and keep trains and parts in the bench. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Carolyn has not responded with her actual inside measurement, so we are flying blind. Likely that even the t-gauge might be too tight...
I suspect she is off doing some of her own online research. (y) (y)
Maybe she is shopping ebay for a wider piano bench! 馃ぃ
hi everyone, I'm learning HUGE amounts here. I have no idea what the inside measurement would be. I just know I have 11 inches to work within.
it's all a great big learning curve.
I ordered an N scale locomotive. i\m just doing this randomly, which will likely make all of you crazy. lol
Atlas, silver, Series EMD GP38 Diesel CP #3001 Because A, it's Canadian Pacific, and B because I just like the look of it.
and I ordered a bit of track. no power yet, I just want to see what fits where. unitrack 4 5/8" (117mm) radius curve, 45-degree section. whatever that means.

learn by doing, right?

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking I saw 9 3/4 radius, not thinking about the measurement would be double for the curve. :rolleyes:
Like I said I never laid down N track yet. Mine came all together.
A switching layout would work in the space?
Though me personally would rather have a loop.

Now if you have a grand piano you can gut the piano and do a nice layout and keep trains and parts in the bench. :D
That's hilarious, because I was sort of thinking that if I gut a piano.... Not mine, but you always see pianos out on the street that no one wants. not grand pianos, uprights. but still....

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Since you do have an Apt. why not build a small shelf layout instead ? It could be 6" X 6' or 8' long on angle brackets same as a book shelf. You could shunt cars back and forth in/out of a few industry spurs off a thru main line, up at eye level.. In N you could actually get quite allot of trackage in this area... Wouldn't this be more sensible and fulfilling than a circle enclosed in a piano bench ? And if you plan to keep the train on the rails what's going to happen when you move the bench ?
move the bench? oh you mean like actually move it so I can play the piano? hahahahahaaaa.....
no, but seriously, I do play the piano, but i don't move the bench. it's over 200 years old, so it gets treated very gently. it's still weight bearing, but I don't want the legs to start wobbling.

Railroad Tycoon
Wow, 200 years old I wouldn't even sit on it. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
You will need T-Gauge (scale 1:450} Min radius 4.72 inches , Diameter 9.44 inches, to fit a loop on an 11" wide surface. N scale will not work.
wow, thankyou! That sounds just what I'm looking for. I just bought a bit of N scale, which I will figure out where to put eventually. I'll go do some online browsing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Wow, 200 years old I wouldn't even sit on it. :)
things need to be used. the piano does not match the bench, it's much younger at only around 100 or so. lol I have a bizarre collection of stuff on it, at the moment. including a knitting pattern where sheet music should be. lol
IMG_20200719_152452_resized_20200719_032537931.jpg
IMG_20200719_152509_resized_20200719_032537562.jpg

Railroad Tycoon
The cat statue looks very realistic. :giggle:

Reactions: cid

Registered
Well, your 9-1/4 centerline diameter N-scale might fit inside your bench depending on the inside dimension.
Running the GP-38 on that tight radius is not guaranteed. But when u get the components in, try it out and let us know.
To be honest, I had never seen nor heard of "Unitrack Compact". I didn't even find it listed on KatoUSA.com :D
until I went back and looked a second time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
That's one of the five reasons for having a lid that closes on the lay-out. Gizmo is VERY helpful with all household tasks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Well, your 9-1/4 centerline diameter N-scale might fit inside your bench depending on the inside dimension.
Running the GP-38 on that tight radius is not guaranteed. But when u get the components in, try it out and let us know.
To be honest, I had never seen nor heard of "Kato Compact". I didn't even find it listed on KatoUSA.com :D
lol. guess we'll be finding out when they arrive. they were cheap, so i took the plunge. |I am that person who will throw themselves off the plane, and just jump right in.

Registered
Thanks Gramps..(#20)
Who doesn't move a piano bench ?? !! Is it bolted to the floor ??!
You have a piano. It's in a room. Thus you have 4 walls. Put a shelf on a wall and put trains on it.

Registered
Who's Kong?

Registered
My German Shepherd had one of those when she was a pup. It didn't last long before she got a black one. Those are good for about eight months.

She is never without it.

Railroad Tycoon
Kong hiding from the cat? :)

21 - 40 of 69 Posts