Model Train Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Carolyn, here's an idea for a reasonably capable railroad in a small space. If you have room for a coffee table, you could do something like this:
Coffee table layouts have a tendency to become large and elaborate if some discipline isn't exercised in their design. This one appears to be a little too much of a "round n' round" without enough switching options to keep it interesting, as the builder discovered after years of work. But it does seem reasonably compact.
He chose to model modern, large rolling stock, which look rather awkward on the tight curves required for a compact design. I would suggest modeling the 1940s-50s, with 40 foot freight cars, a mix of steam and diesel power, and less of a sense of the rolling stock overshadowing the scenery. Any way you slice it however, don't forget the fun factor!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
The 9 3/4 you saw was radius which is 19 1/2 diameter. You acknowledged that mistake in an earlier post, #21. That should answer your question in post #46.
It should?
But now it looks like the N will fit?:unsure:
And if N would fit surely Z scale would?

·
Registered
22 Posts
lol. the piano bench IS the coffee table.
Ouch! Sounds claustrophobic to me. Dresser drawer sounds better. Are you good at carpentry, or have friends that are? Here's a thought. Build a platform you can stand your dresser on, and which can enclose one of your dresser drawers, creating an empty drawer space in the dresser itself. Then build a custom fit drawer to put your railroad in.
You could build the controls right into the front of your custom drawer and not have to butcher one of your antique drawers or downsize your wardrobe. Or you could build the drawer front out of Lexan and have a peek-a-boo railway. Just keep the fun factor in mind, whatever you do.
PS: If you decide to go ahead with the tight radius N scale track, you might consider some short-coupled rolling stock, such as a GE 44 or 70 ton diesel switcher or an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 steamer and older, shorter freight cars such as 40 ft boxcars, 36 ft tankers, and 36 or 38 ft reefers. Personal prejudice, but I find Z and T scales frustratingly tiny. Have fun now, hear?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
It should?
But now it looks like the N will fit?:unsure:
And if N would fit surely Z scale would?
John, cid and I are on the same page. The problem is finding a diameter that will fit. You keep referencing, as in post #45, the 9 3/4 radius which is half the diameter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Ouch! Sounds claustrophobic to me. Dresser drawer sounds better. Are you good at carpentry, or have friends that are? Here's a thought. Build a platform you can stand your dresser on, and which can enclose one of your dresser drawers, creating an empty drawer space in the dresser itself. Then build a custom fit drawer to put your railroad in.
You could build the controls right into the front of your custom drawer and not have to butcher one of your antique drawers or downsize your wardrobe. Or you could build the drawer front out of Lexan and have a peek-a-boo railway. Just keep the fun factor in mind, whatever you do.
PS: If you decide to go ahead with the tight radius N scale track, you might consider some short-coupled rolling stock, such as a GE 44 or 70 ton diesel switcher or an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 steamer and older, shorter freight cars such as 40 ft boxcars, 36 ft tankers, and 36 or 38 ft reefers. Personal prejudice, but I find Z and T scales frustratingly tiny. Have fun now, hear?
aw mannnn... that's WAY too much work! lol

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hahaha we all mean well, Carolyn:) Just fiddle with it when ur stuff comes in and see where you are!! Imma lookin forward to it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
hello! just checking in quickly, to say that I expect my N scale locomotive and track to be here by Monday! can't wait!
will take pics and share with you all then. maybe I should do a video of the unpacking, post it on youtube, and become famous.
hahahahaaaaaa

61 - 69 of 69 Posts