Model Train Forum banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
For the type of layout she's contemplating, one of the limited systems like Bachmann EZ Command or MRC Prodigy Explorer would work well. They're not much more than a good DC power pack.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
got my 0-6-0 locomotive and tender today, earlier than expected! tomorrow, it's off to the hobby store for more track. I'll take this with, so I can get the right controller for it.
what FUN! we are on our way. I'm sure I;ll come home with some extras. scenery? trees? little tiny people? buildings? who knows! it's where ever my whim will take me.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
What do you have or will get for rolling stock? Can't have a very long train in that bench!...LOL. Who makes your new loco? I see it's D&S road.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
What do you have or will get for rolling stock? Can't have a very long train in that bench!...LOL. Who makes your new loco? I see it's D&S road.
good question. Now I have to hunt down my magnifying glass to see if there's a maker on the bottom.
but first I need coffee. had a red bull last evening, and fell asleep before 8:30, now it's just after 6 am and I feel like I was run over by a train. lol in about an hour, I'll be feeling really good. lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
so. update. new engine is Bachman. there's a coupler included, so now i guess I need to learn how to attach it without destroying everything.
IMG_20200829_105208_resized_20200829_105314290.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
lol. helps if I read the instructions it came with. sort of. it's a dummy coupler for train set only, whatever that means.

·
Registered
981 Posts
It's a coupler with no moving parts. Cars are coupled/uncoupled by lifting the car and sliding one coupler into the other. A dummy coupler can only be used with another dummy coupler.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
It's a coupler with no moving parts. Cars are coupled/uncoupled by lifting the car and sliding one coupler into the other. A dummy coupler can only be used with another dummy coupler.
ahh! thankyou! I thought it looked a little...
simplistic. I probably won't be using it. I want couplers that really couple.
lord that sounds rude. lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I have taken the plunge, and ordered: basic oval and siding and something called a Kato power pack.

I'm hoping this gives me enough track and more, and I have no idea how the power pack will work. It's all due in less than 2 weeks. And in the meantime, I've discovered small spots for even more, even tinier, layouts.
the top of a wooden bar stool, for example.
a 12" ceramic tile. (I could put the tile on the stool.)
and a small silver chafing dish, with lid.

I have fallen into the pit. gone down the rabbit hole. got sucked into the vortex.

pray for me.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
From a photo it looks like you are using Kato Unitrack. The power pack plugs into a feeder track from Unitrack so you need the feeder track.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Well, looking at that “dummy coupler”, it’s not a dummy coupler after all.....it’s called a Rapido coupler, and it does operate and will couple, albeit only with other Rapido couplers.....Rapido couplers were the ones that came with all early N gauge trains, until Micro Trains came up with their knuckle couplers.....FYI.....

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Yes, but as my brother said between his sons having motorcycles and his daughter having a horse, when they tired of them the horse still cost money to feed and keep!

121 - 140 of 160 Posts