Model Train Forum banner

tiny. the smallest. really really small.

10K views 172 replies 19 participants last post by  retirementhobby 
#1 ·
hello,
i'm new, and looking for some help. I want to do a very small lay out, if you can even call it that. just a circle of track, 12 inches or less in diameter. 1 engine, and maybe 1 car if possible.
i'm building this (I hope) in the only available space in my little apartment, the interior of my piano bench.
I have cats, so the lid will protect this effort.

Will N scale do? or should I try Z? maybe T if I can find it? it won't be fancy, just the basics.
I've seen layouts in old suitcases, which is what inspired me to get started.

thanks!

Carolyn

#75 ·
thanks! eventer, I hope. but we'll see. the cats are in charge, Peaches tries to stay out of trouble, but sometimes gets her nose smacked just as a reminder. cats, man.
I'll google the steam switcher, it sounds really interesting. This new hobby is really fun. and I love that everyone is so helpful. it's a nice change from the cut-throat competition ring. lol

#76 ·
ok, so I'm an idiot. A good hard pull is all you need to take the track apart, i was being way too delicate. I can fit some curves, a fig. 8, and a bridge in my tiny space.
shopping trip coming up in a few weeks. it'll be my congratulations on writing the bar exam reward to myself. gives me some time to plan a little.

#81 ·
You have the curves licked, now you need a track plan that gives that poor engineer time to escape! ;)
A few straight sections and a couple switches, and you can have an oval loop with sidings. Gives you interesting things to do when you get tired of round 'n round. Get a couple industrial buildings (factory, warehouse, freight station, etc) and put them by your sidings, so you can simulate loading freight cars and making up trains. In N scale, they're jewel-like miniatures. It's amazing the fun you can have in a small space.

#83 ·
The length of a piano bench will still require a very steep grade if she's shooting for an over/under.

#92 ·
Just for grins, I tried setting up a over/under figure eight in 11x30 inch space limits using code 80 flextrack, and my N scale 0-6-0 and my GE 70 ton could barely negotiate the grades running light, and couldn't pull any cars over the top due to wheel spin. This was simulating matching Carolyn's really tight sectional track, 3/4 of a circle in each loop. This made for a really short figure eight that used only a little over half of the available length and had a crossing angle near 90°. Then I tried again, lengthening it out so there was only a half circle at each end matching Carolyn's sectional track, and the rest was custom bent to go where it needed to go, with a much more acute crossing angle. Now the grade was less steep and each engine could pull a short train over the hill. This would be hard to do with sectional track. Y'all have fun now, hear?

#97 · (Edited)
Carolyn, did you ever think of building a slightly larger railroad on a piece of thin plywood, oh maybe twenty inches by forty inches, or thereabouts, that could be set on top of your piano bench for running and stood on edge in a closet the rest of the time? How are your sewing skills? You could make a multi pocket roll up pouch to keep your rolling stock in, all in the plastic jewel cases they came in. A rectangular ridge on the underside of the plywood slightly larger than your piano seat would help your little railroad world stay put while you're in operating mode. Just a thought. Good luck!

#114 ·
Derby (my horse) gets a day off, while I run around doing important law society matters. lol starting the ID process, which means putting on real clothes, some makeup, combing hair for photo. then wait 4-6 weeks for it to arrive in the mail.
heading to library (because my new computer refuses to recognize my printer) to print request for deferral form, print, fill, copy, send in.
then, ...
some housekeeping, I guess, and will dig out plywood sheet (don't even ask why I have a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 " plywood in my apartment...) get the circ. saw out of storage, and cut a base for my lay-out. I'm attaching handles at each end, so I can lift it easily out of the bench, to make working on it easier. I have styrofoam, to begin shaping land formations. I have a waterfall kit so I can learn how to make realistic looking water for the river that will run through it.
eventually, I'l get glue and paint, and all the fun toys.

so if you'll all excuse me, I need to go paint my nails. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.