Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,338 Posts
last posted 4 months ago. Not a good omen. Anyone with info?
Normal..........last few years the time off is stretching longer and longer.
And with the new format you can do everything but post.
I think a lot of members do that and only log on when they have something to say.

·
Premium Member
16,671 Posts
Well, I sort of fell off the Edge of the Earth there for a while, but I managed to cling on and am still here to tell the tale!

Thank you guys for the concern. I do appreciate it. The truth is, I've just been super busy with work and have had to put trains on the back burner for a bit. That, coupled with the crazy COVID year. But, all is well on my end ... health, family, etc. Older son is wrapping up high school, trying to figure out through which college he can spend all of my money. ;) The younger son is thinking, "Hey, don't spend it all on him. You have to spend it on me, too!" Dohh! My work stuff has been fun ... designing / building unmanned carbon fiber sub-things for the US Navy that do stuff deep down at the bottom of the ocean. The pressure and forces are mind-boggling. A rocket has to deal with about 15 psi of vacuum. Our subs have to deal with 10,000 psi of pressure. We try to test things before they actually go deep, but still ... it's life on the edge, for sure. My boys and I continue to really enjoy our hiking / backpacking adventures. We had an amazing 100 mile trek through/around Yosemite last summer, and are heading out to Grand Teton and Yellowstone this coming summer. Member SkyNight just sent me a inquiry note about my little 1506M windup loco ... which prompted me to stare at my trains for a while (first time in a while), log back in, say hello, and tell myself that I really need to get back in the tinplate tinkering game. I miss it. I miss you guys. I mess Teldoc ... RIP, Jerry ... you were an incredible source of knowledge. I have a bunch of to-do loco projects collecting dust in my basement. Yeah ... yeah ... get off your butt, TJ, and get-er-done! I hope so, gang ... I hope so.

Warm regards to all. I always, always smile when poking around MFT.

TJ

·
Premium Member
16,671 Posts
Oh ...
And ... you're all gonna yell at me for this, but ...

I sold my HO layout. I built if for my kids when they were young, and for a while there, it was their own little world of imagination. But for the past while (as they've gotten bigger), it sat idle, chewing up floor space in the basement. They didn't seem to interested in keeping it through college, marriage, kids of their own, so ...

I listed it on my local Facebook Marketplace, and within a nanosecond a mom with a young train-obsessed son grabbed it. She was going to surprise him with it as a Christmas present. She sent me a video of him seeing the train layout for the first time in their den on Christmas morning. Let me tell you: that kid was wearing a million dollar smile. It made me happy to know that the HO trains are now running again, and a little kid is enjoying his own world of imagination.

I think I did the right thing. Didn't I???

TJ

·
Registered
485 Posts
Welcome back TJ and its great that kid now has a model train impression that may just last a lifetime for him as it has for many others.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,338 Posts
Oh ...
And ... you're all gonna yell at me for this, but ...

I sold my HO layout. I built if for my kids when they were young, and for a while there, it was their own little world of imagination. But for the past while (as they've gotten bigger), it sat idle, chewing up floor space in the basement. They didn't seem to interested in keeping it through college, marriage, kids of their own, so ...

I listed it on my local Facebook Marketplace, and within a nanosecond a mom with a young train-obsessed son grabbed it. She was going to surprise him with it as a Christmas present. She sent me a video of him seeing the train layout for the first time in their den on Christmas morning. Let me tell you: that kid was wearing a million dollar smile. It made me happy to know that the HO trains are now running again, and a little kid is enjoying his own world of imagination.

I think I did the right thing. Didn't I???

TJ
When is your tin going on sale? :D

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,338 Posts
Ha! The funeral home already is on orders to stick me in an oversized coffin (I'm a skinny guy) and stuff all of my beloved tinplate in there with me!

;)

TJ
Open casket? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts