Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- I was watching some u-tube videos that Lionel had posted of a guy (factory sponsored) doing a "how it works" class. the info is good- you have to look past the part where he talks about 60hz line having 60 "zero crossings" per second. He must have gone to different AC theory school than I did. but besides that, they are informative.

My question has to do with running an earth ground along the rails to prevent signal loss. makes a lot of sense but what if the outside rails are grounded through the ties to a metallic rail bed? has anyone had any experience with this?

I can post the inks to videos- they are good for understanding what the heck is going on when your loco decides to take off like a bat out of ****!

·
Admin
44,222 Posts
If you ground your outside rails to earth ground, TMCC will cease to function!

You MUST have the outside rails isolated from the power distribution ground for TMCC to work.

The antenna inside the locomotive actually receives it's signal from the earth ground, that provides the difference signal from the outside rail which brings in the control information.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you ground your outside rails to earth ground, TMCC will cease to function!

You MUST have the outside rails isolated from the power distribution ground for TMCC to work.

The antenna inside the locomotive actually receives it's signal from the earth ground, that provides the difference signal from the outside rail which brings in the control information.
thanks John! being the tmcc guy you are I knew you would bite when I threw his one in the water!

also broken outside rails for block isolation will/can cause tmcc trouble. I see why now looking at the presentations. they have a fix for that to!

so here is anohter question. if both common and center rail terminals are not referenced to earth ground (floating), then when you "polorize" sources, you are connecting one side of each sourse together but not grounding them. correct? so every thing on the layout powered by same transformer(s) must be "floating' correct?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts