Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Happy Holidays to all.
Can someone please tell me how I can replace a Lionel control box (uncouple/unload) for an UCS with a toggle switch. I want to use fixed voltage to operate the control track. I do not use ctc’s on my layout so I know the #3 post (on the UCS) will not be used, the power for the control track will be at the toggle switch via my ZW. I’m not sure but I think I did this many years ago using a dpdt switch. Thanks for any help I can get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I do understand how it all works. I have other diagrams that show what happens when the unload and uncouple buttons are pushed. Uncouple puts together terminals 2,3 & 4 and Unload puts 3&4 together while being insulated from 1&2 being together. I have spent hours trying to wire toggle switches to do both. I can get the unload to work but not the uncouple, or the uncouple to work but the unload works also,or the unload to work but the unloading of the car operates slower then with the Lionel control box at the same voltage. I'm thinking the wires are not set right on the switch. Maybe I need a different type of switch. At one time I had a diagram showing how to set the wires...where it is today is anybody's guess.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
OK some simple wiring basics. You need power from the a-d terminals of your ZW and AC return from the U terminal. The U terminal should be common to the outside rail of your layout. The ZW is perfect for this application because it has two variable controls, B and C, that you can adjust for the voltage you need.

Lets label the terminals of the UCS 1,2,3,4. from left to right. Since we want to use transformer power to control we can forget about terminals 1 and 3. That leaves us with just with wiring terminals 2 and 4. To make a postwar operating car like a dump car or milk car operate you just need to put power on terminal 4 and return on terminal 2. So use a DPDT switch with one set connected to Power and the other set connected to the U return side. To uncouple you only need a SPST to switch Power to terminal 4.

Now it gets even simpler if you are not operating any pre 1950 cars with electro couplers. You only need one wire, a power wire from a power connection, b or C with the SPST button to terminal 4. Tie terminals 1 and 2 together on the UCS. This will permanently hold the left side activation rails to the U side and operate the uncouple and operating cars on the right. This will also work with those pre 1950 cars too if you remember they will only uncouple on the right side.

If you are using the older RCS track without the center electromagnet the above instructions will work for that track too if you just reverse the 3 and 4 connections.

Happy New Year!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts