Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to create a modern N scale scene and noticed Tomix has modern buildings. I did notice they are 1/150 instead of the standard N scale of 1/160, is there a noticeable difference?

Thank you!
Brandon

·
Registered
212 Posts
There are many companies building modern style buildings in N scale, for the Japanese home market. Japan has the largest model railroad market in the world, and the largest number of hobbyists. I have seen it speculated, the model train market in Japan could be as large as all of Europe and North America combined. Lot's of modelers there, which is quite impressive for a tiny nation. The current population of Japan is estimated to be about 126.66 million people. The vast majority of modelers in Japan choose N scale (about 90-95 percent), and many model the modern trains they see everyday.

You have both Tomix and it's sister brand Tomytec (both made by Tomy, the huge toy conglomerate) which make various buildings, both modern and older style. There is also Kato, Greenmax, Sankei, Cosmic, Permil (M`s Craft), TGW(Tsugawa), and others.

As you have noticed, most Japanese N scale for their home market is 150th scale. Basically speaking, all trains and buildings for their home market is 150th scale, except for the Shinkansen (bullet trains). Shinkansen models are modeled in 160th scale. That is because the vast majority of trains in Japan are narrow gauge, which is 3'6" (1067 mm) which is called "Cape Gauge". Only the Shinkansen trains are standard gauge, of 4 feet, 8-1/2 inches.

By the way, British N scale is 148th scale, both Continental Europe and North America are 160th scale. I believe Australian N scale is also 160th scale.

Hope that helps.

Howard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts