Model Train Forum banner

Too many locomotives?

4K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  seayakbill 
#1 ·
A couple of years ago I started to transition from HO to O. I had limited space (8' X 15') so I decided a small industrial branch would be best. Using FasTrack I built a layout with 5 industries and a yard/interchange. I got a Lionel Alco S-2 and 10 freight cars, a Legacy controller, and started operating. It was fun! Then about a year ago I saw a Lionel GP35 and just had to have it. The problem which soon became apparent was the there was no easy realistic way to integrate a second train into the layout: it took up half the yard and just didn't fit into the operating plan I had. The result was that slowly my enthusiasm for the O layout waned and I stopped running it.

About three weeks ago my wife said she would like "that pretty engine" on the mantle over the fireplace. I brought it from the layout room and set it on some track with the caboose I had for it. While I was at it I decided to run the S-2 a little and move a few cars around. After about an hour the fun was back, and I've been running trains again almost every day.

I have started watching O-Scale layout videos on YouTube, and one thing I notice is that almost everyone of them has storage/display shelves with locomotives and perhaps passenger cars on them. So the lesson (I'm trying to convince my wife) is that you can't have too many locomotives, but you can have too many on your layout at once :)

See less See more
#5 ·
I did extensive study of this question years ago and determined, without any doubt at all, thq5 the optimum number of model locomotives to have is always given by this forumula:
Optimum number of locomotives to own = Number that you now own + 1.
This has been consistently true for ten years now.
Of course, you have to keep building more shelves over time, but that is just the cost of achieving optimality.

#6 ·
Well over half my locomotives are in boxes, the other half are on my first set of shelves in my new train room. Lee's formula is spot on, except the +1, I just added three, and I still need just one more. :D Time for more shelves...

Then there's the Union Pacific Corner. :D

#13 ·
Hello guys and gals

I just have 5 plus one still in parts LOL. The engines are sunset 3rd brass S.F. Texas , Railking Challenger, Ralking NW-2, Williams F-3 ABA, Old Williams brass Dreyfuss Hudson (in parts) and finally Kato "N" scale NW-2 LOL. Out of 5 engines, I pretty like the Railking Challenger the best probably easiest for me to handle and it had full LED's in it (PS-3) and semi-scale which the lionel traditional size (postwar size wise) freight cars look in "right" behind the Challenger. The Railking challenger is smaller in size (semi-scale) and is heavier that the scale brass Texas by half pound but easier for me to pick up due to one piece boiler !! Sometimes i wished to just have ONE train (less burden).

God will save you from hidden dangers and deadly diseases. Just put your trust in Jesus !! Psalm 91:3 ERV (easy to read version)

Tiffany

#16 ·
I haven't seen anything jumping out lately. I'm pretty happy with what I have, but you never know what comes your way.

#21 ·
Okay - you guys have convinced me of two things: I need to expand my layout, and I need ONE more loco. I'm negotiating with the domestic goddess for "just a little more" space, and have placed an order for an S6sb - in GN colors. I know it's not prototypical, but hey it's my layout. Right. Thank you all for helping my clarify my thoughts.

#28 ·
Have many lionel postwar steam engines and the Mrs says they all look alike . ; )
Many diesels in lionel, marx and mth .
Many in original boxes all in all i tell the Mrs about 80 but i think perhaps over 100 engines.
What i do not have is the old general type engine but perhaps one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.