Model Train Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Admin
43,798 Posts
There's a lot of stumps there now, that's for sure! :D I was lucky, there were a number of very close calls, but the only car damage in all that time was a small branch fell as my wife was driving out about a year before we moved out and put a dimple in the hood of her car. I am still amazed that all that wood coming down and none of it got us.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I lost 8 trees including one on the house (no significant damage, but new shingles) from a micro-burst in Minnesota in the late 90's. Storms have continued to get more severe since.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
GRJ, that would have been quite the tree challenge. I would also say you indeed used up all that property's luck. Did the new owners know of your past good luck? Then again, you said 15 trees down. Maybe there's a reason that road is called Stump Hall Road.
I have 5 trees left out of 7 and I am constantly picking up small branches not to mention the occasional large limb or two when there are storms like last week. I may end up losing one of my remaining trees which lost a good sized limb. Yes the chain saw is your best friend at those times. I know mine got a very good work out last week.

Kenny

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I guess they did not call it Sump Hall Road for nothing. Climate change, anyone?
Yeah, it’s climate change, although the climate has been changing for billions of years, so it’s nothing new....just new to us, apparently.....

Eighty years ago, the continent was suffering through a long and terrible drought, and now we’re getting more rain than usual......so yeah, it’s changing....constantly.....the big difference now is, it’s starting to inconvenience us more, so we feel we need to fight/stop climate change.....

But we can’t, it’ll change whether we’re here or not, no matter what we do.....

Can we have an effect? Sure, albeit it very minimal.....recycle more, litter less, use less fossil fuels, etc.....

But we’ll always have a need to use/burn energy, because that’s how we have progressed from the Stone Age.....when they stop making millions of Ford F150’s and Ram trucks, then I’ll know mankind is getting serious about waste..... ;)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts