Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and while waiting on the platform, had a look at an abandoned bit of track. had trees growing in it, branches down, and plenty of debris.
now, I'm considering having an abandoned section on my lay-out.
anyone else done this? (of course someone has, I just haven't looked for it yet...)

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
I haven't, but it's been done plenty of times. Paint the rails a dark rust color, use only a little ballast, and fill in with vegetation and junk.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
I did it back when I had an N gauge layout (about 20 years ago) had a whole abandoned small railyard with some old rusting locos and rolling stock, buildings with collapsed roofs, isolated in a mountain valley - railroad ghost town. It was alot of fun.
The O-Guage layout I've had for the past fifteen years is a lot bigger, but because of the bigger scale, still does not have the room to allow me to do things like that and everything else I must do, so I don't plan the same this time.
But it was a great feature on that layout.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's a neat feature to have - seems to add "age" and history to a layout. I recall an old British layout that had an abandoned track section blocked by a rockslide, next to a boarded up tunnel mouth. You can invent any story you like 👍👍
FW

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts