Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a total newbie, but those of you longtime modle RR's, what tools do you know everyone should have that are just starting out?
And for those that have all of the basics what would be cool for advanced folks like yourselves?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
What I will do is take a picture of each tool that I currently have in my box for modeling.. visual representation is the best.

Dang, reminds me I have most of tools at my somewhere else when I was running my steam engine during Xmas :(

Have to get them back, all my good screwdrivers are in there.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Nary an airbrush or Dremel tool in the pile...cheap is good.
That is a nice chunk of tools... I have a knock-off verson of a Dremel, but I suck at using it anyways, so I would probably be better off without it...

LOL, I know I have most of that stuff around my house, but it is all over the place and is definatly not organized... I run from draw to draw trying to find just what I need :eek:

P.S. - Do you go fishing, or was that just a keen idea? ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't fish either but I think I will get a tackle box. Now my tools are in a few cardboard boxes and It is a pain digging through trying to find what I need.
I have a dremmel that I hardly ever use. I often forget I even have it. Now I know what to cut my flex track with. :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I don't fish either but I think I will get a tackle box. Now my tools are in a few cardboard boxes and It is a pain digging through trying to find what I need.
I have a dremmel that I hardly ever use. I often forget I even have it. Now I know what to cut my flex track with. :)
Yeah the Dremel with the disk attachment works great.

I have a $30 clone as well :eek:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,758 Posts
Dremel/Black&Decker

The power of a rotary tool. An 1130 Lionel Scout showing some age on the sides.

After exposure to a wire cup at level 3 on my newer B&D.The results speak for itself.;)

I like the quick twist chuck.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,758 Posts
Practice makes Perfect

Pressure is just practice. This took less Than a minute to do ,but it got HOT to the touch. Weird lines can come from using coarse wire. The cup I used was very fine. The picture doesn't show it but there are small pits from the original casting or removal of rust.
Tha'ts the advantage of having Runner's.Anything I try to do only improves them. Serious Collectors just swap them out with better quality.Then ,you step into the realm of original,reproduction,foreign imitation, and the dreaded NOS new old stock. After the demise of Madison Hardware there must be more Mint Lionel Trains than ever before.:eek:

Those little wires are nasty, wear eye protection, earplugs wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Know any dentists?

Their used picks etc are great for carving rocks and doing other stuff.

Also look for small clamps to hold items whilst painting.

Steve

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Those little wires are nasty, wear eye protection, earplugs wouldn't hurt either.
Yea, I know they are... Every time I use the thing they fly up and hit my face... Is it normal for them to do that, or is that more evidence I am using too much pressure? Anyways, I need to start wearing better eye protection (I wear my regular glasses, but I should have goggles), it is by the grace of God that I have not lost an eye yet

·
Registered
109 Posts
Know any dentists?

Their used picks etc are great for carving rocks and doing other stuff.

Also look for small clamps to hold items whilst painting.

Steve
Try:

https://www.riogrande.com/home/

Get their tools catalog. Same tools as dentists but much cheaper. Any jeweler supply will have good tools to work on small parts, as well as many very unique tips for dremels, or flex-shaft tools that the jewelers use. They also have things like needle files and micro files, lots of sandpapers, and even simulated enamal if you want to paint some early steam engines in the bright colors of the day.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,758 Posts
Wheel puller

I purchased this through e bay and thought I'd do a short show and tell. It does work on regular steam drive wheels, but don't try it on smaller diesel drive wheels or you will just break the rim.I never used the original factory tool so I can't rate it.I was difficult to start and hard to keep straight. Once started it worked fine. If it looks like a modified battery terminal puller, it probably is. Judge for yourself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Because I scratch build a lot of stuff I think the main tool is my scale ruler. From there hmmm. Clamps [clothes pegs do well as do womens hair clips], Picks of various sorts, TWO sets of files. One for wood and one for metal [I don't work in plastic but would have one for that if I did], I have paints and brushes, a dremel with hundreds of little things for it, Exacto knives, saws. Sheesh, hard to say what you need because it depends on what kind of modeler you are. If you are a scratch builder though then get quality tools as they will last a lifetime. Mine have :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which Dremel?

I know I want a Dremel, but which one is suffient for Model RR'ing? I saw the two cordless versions (7.2v & 10.8v) at Lowe's along witht the 200 and 300 series and the 400XPR. I don't really want to go overboard, but don't want to buy one and go, "Geeze I wish I woulda bought the......"

·
Yard Master & Research
10,758 Posts
I am a cord guy and I don't have a big layout to service.
The general rule is the larger voltage the better for cordless. Same with drills. Wallmart has the carbide bit for 7. It will last for years.
Bob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts