Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'd be interested in opinions on the current 4 or 5 top-rated N-scale freight car manufacturers ...regarding detailing, variety-available, and performance (...such as tracking, coupling, etc.). Thanks very much, Norm.

·
Premium Member
11,242 Posts
In no particular order….

Micro Trains
Athearn
Intermountain
Rapido
Atlas

Note: assuming you are asking about North American freight cars….

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Fleischmann
Kato
Brawa
HobbyTrain
Jägerndorfer

All very nicely detailed and good runners.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I like
Atlas,
Micro-Trains,
Kato,
and newer Bachmann.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am not real up to date on current offerings, as most of my rolling stock are rebuilt from parts lots. But, I do have a few new pieces...

Atlas 40' rebuilt well cars, these are actually great, etched walkways, metal wheelsets, and body mounted knuckle couplers. These run really well. No enhancements needed other than weathering.

Atlas PEMEX tanker, came with truck mounted couplers of some type & plastic wheelsets. Overweight at 43 grams. Needed truck replacement out of the box.

Athearn, similar variable experiences...

The Athearn "I Love NY" boxcars come with Bettendorf trucks, I replaced those and fitted 36" metal wheelsets. Works pretty good now, and the OEM couplers actually play well with KATO couplers!

The Athearn GATX general service tank cars, they run great right out of the box, and come with excellent 36" metal wheelsets. The couplers (Mchenry maybe?) are on the large side.

Micro Trains, they are good but the wheelsets are plastic. The factory weathered models look fantastic.

Bachmann Silver Series, the CSX center flow hoppers come with Bettendorf trucks, I don't know if that is prototypical but I of course replaced those. They also come with metal RP-25 wheelsets, but oddly they don't run turnouts well. Wouldn't run until I did full replacement of the trucks and wheelsets.

I'm next going to be trying an Intermountain covered hopper. I understand these come equipped with their excellent metal wheelsets.
Also ExactRail, I'm going to try their freight cars too. They come with body mounted 1015s and metal wheelsets.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
I don't mode, in N scale, but I'd say the idea is pretty much the same as HO. The brand of the car can help determine the level of detail, but for performance, tuned trucks with metal wheels and metal, body mounted couplers will provide best performance. Detail is often a function of price, so where you have an option, pay a little more and get better detail.

Reactions: Mixed Freight

·
Premium Member
11,242 Posts
If detail is what you’re after, then yes, I agree….but a lot of folks would rather have better running than more detail, so whatever works for you….

·
Registered
279 Posts
You can turn virtually any N-scale freight car into a top performer by converting over to Micro-Trains Line (MTL) trucks and couplers. And then properly weighting the car to NMRA standards.

And for the Cup of Grass (or is that Coup de Gras:unsure:?), you can modify it to ride lower on the trucks. Which a LOT of older N-scale cars need, for much better looks while rolling along the rails. (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts