Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions regarding the tortoise machines. I have the older green ones. I have three more machines to install but no more wire. The package of wire I was using does not have a readable labor listing the size. What size piano wire do an need for NO Peco switches?

Second I have a swicth that is directly above a 2x4 brace in my table. Is there any way to use a tortoise machine with this? Unfortunately the location of both is not able to be changed.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Second I have a swicth that is directly above a 2x4 brace in my table. Is there any way to use a tortoise machine with this? Unfortunately the location of both is not able to be changed.
I've had to be creative with Tortoise switch machines on my layout. I have used the Circuitron 6100 remote mount for one turnout where I have a hidden track below that would interfere with the motor. It works well if you can make it fit around your 2x4 brace. If the 2x4 brace is directly below the throwbar, I would try chiseling out part of the 2x4 to make a slot for access. I would then make a couple 90 degree bends in the wire so that you can offset the machine. Here's what I would envision this looking like:

I've had to do even more crazy things such as this:

This is also a hidden track where I have a leg underneath where I would have liked to put the switch machine. I was instead able to place the machine to the side of the turnout with a crazily shaped throw wire attached to the turnout's throwbar.

The Tortoise motors are very versatile, so you can be very creative with them.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also had to mount a switch machine on the bottom of a 2x4 brace. Sine the wire that came with the machine wasn't long enough I got this... Stainless Steel .030
With that long of a length was there any issue with the points moving? Was it really as simple as drill a deep hole? If so I have been really over thinking this thinking that it would not work due to the distance.

·
Registered
973 Posts
With the Switch Master machines I used the turnout is thrown via a crank wire so the wire isn't flexing/bowing along the length of wire between the top of the layout and the switch (scroll down a bit in the link below to the b&w diagram/drawing). I'm not sure about the Tortoise machines

1 - 10 of 10 Posts