Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on wiring..I would like to make my control panel with switches and led's to reflect which leg the train will go. I want to use per turnout 1 DPDT switch and 2 bi color 2 leg led's. And of course the tortise switch machine. How would I go about wiring this?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you want the LEDs to indicate the same thing, connect it just like the first one. Or if it's to toggle color on the other track, turn it around but connected to the same place (with it's own resistor... or the same resistor, it won't really matter, just size it for the proper current through 1 or 2 LEDs).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought you were using a LED that changes color when the polarity changes?

George
Yea a..I got bi color led's..I want one led on each leg of the turn out telling me which way the train will go..then flip switch and one of the leds changes to red and the other green.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tom if your using a 2 lead bicolor LED in example Green & Red just hook it up like my 1st image when you throw the DPDT the LED should change from Green to Red and then Red to Green when you throw it back. The tortoise motor will also change directions throwing the switch. Do you what me to set up a little video showing how it works?

George

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom if your using a 2 lead bicolor LED in example Green & Red just hook it up like my 1st image when you throw the DPDT the LED should change from Green to Red and then Red to Green when you throw it back. The tortoise motor will also change directions throwing the switch. Do you what me to set up a little video showing how it works?

George
Thanks! I seen online that some people were not using a resister because they wired it in series with the switch? The more I look the more confused I get. Lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What, was this just a test to see if anyone would get it right? Why didn't you share that diagram to begin with?:rolleyes: :)
I had just found the diagram by doing one of many Google searches..lol

·
Registered
890 Posts
Its all good. Back to the point, I think either those LEDs have built in resistors or the tortoise machine has a resistor. I also don't see why the LEDs must be wired in series, they could be in parallel, as long as they are turned in opposite direction. But, in any case, glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its all good. Back to the point, I think either those LEDs have built in resistors or the tortoise machine has a resistor. I also don't see why the LEDs must be wired in series, they could be in parallel, as long as they are turned in opposite direction. But, in any case, glad you got it sorted.
Yea apparently by wiring leds in series with the tortise it acts as a resistor...but thanks for your help!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nah, there's a resistor in there somewhere. Unless there's some magic happening I'm not aware of. :)

And I didn't help, Theamazingswal was on the right track.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here is a working model using one LED. In the second photo the LED looks yellow but it's red. It's the camera playing tricks. Notice the tortoise changes position in the 2 photos. Remember the tortoise wire branches off before the LED resistor.

George

tortoise_5.jpg

tortoise_6.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a working model using one LED. In the second photo the LED looks yellow but it's red. It's the camera playing tricks. Notice the tortoise changes position in the 2 photos. Remember the tortoise wire branches off before the LED resistor.

George

View attachment 520102

View attachment 520104
Ahh...now I see...pics as they say are worth a thousand words..lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
In the photos, the LED's are wired in Parallel with the Torti. A bi color 2 lead LED can be wired in series as I think the torti has a resistor in it. I use Switch Master Stall motors and the resistor is explicit and in series with the motor and LED. Its all about how much current the motor draws as LED's running really bright draw about 20 ma, but look much better at 10 or less ma, I think the stall motors run around 6 ma (just a guess).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts