Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of quick questions to get the basic set working:

Is there a tool or trick to get the rail joiners tight?

What is the best way to clean up the used track that I bought?

What is the best online resource for purchasing parts (trucks, wheels, couplers, etc.)

Lastly, what have I gotten myself into? :laugh:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hi TEXAZC6,

Welcome to the site, glad you stopped by.

With rail joiners, a pair of needle nose pliers are your best friend. If you bought used track, chances are that some of the joiners have come a apart a bit - just put them in between the pliers and give a bit up of a push - they should come together and when you put them back on the rail, be nice and tight.

To clean track, you can use some denatured alcohol and a rag to start, but you will benefit from having a proper track cleaner, available at most hobby shops. It's usually similar to a rubber eraser compound but has silica sand mixed in which acts as an abrasive to get the dirt off the top of the track and keep things clean. Whatever you do use, make sure it is not oil-based as that will attract more dirt.

Replacement parts can be bought at your hobby shop - hopefully you have a model train specific shop nearby, if not, get online and search around.

Some of the other members might have a good suggestion for an online shop.

Lastly, what scale are you using? HO, N? Also, please post up some pics in the gallery when you get up and running!

As far as what have you gotten yourself into - well, take a look around the site and you will quickly see! The gallery is a great place to start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts