Model Train Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I haven't looked for anything like cutters for O-gauge track. If you try to cut Ross or Gargraves with something like that, you'd deform the end totally out of shape and ruin the piece of track. Forget about cutting Atlas solid rail O-gauge track with something like that!

I'll stick with fiber cutting wheels. :)
LOL now that I looked them up and seen pics of the track I can see why you can not. The track is a little on the "Beefy" side.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I cut HO track with a pair of Xuron nippers and then file the ends and am having excellent results.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Track cutters

I installed 565 feet of Gargraves flex track with just a Dremel with abrasive cutoff wheel and a small file. You very quickly get quite good at cutting it right in place and filing the burrs. I used painters tape laid across the 3 rails to make sure all 3 rails were cut the same. Only wore out 3 abrasive wheels and part of a fourth in all that trackwork. Never tried the Xuron tool.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I installed 565 feet of Gargraves flex track with just a Dremel with abrasive cutoff wheel and a small file. You very quickly get quite good at cutting it right in place and filing the burrs. I used painters tape laid across the 3 rails to make sure all 3 rails were cut the same. Only wore out 3 abrasive wheels and part of a fourth in all that trackwork. Never tried the Xuron tool.

Sounds about the same, allow for the distortion and file em. IDREADDED cutting at first but now pfft snip snip! Practice a bit on some scrap you'll be ok.

P.S. 565 feet of all flex! whew! Ive got about that much HO track a mix of sectional and atlas flex. Did some radius with flex and yes it can be done but now I just use sectional. The joins on the radius are...tricky...LOL

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I like the painters tape idea. I have a kinda cheap ryobi miter box saw. but i couldn't find in a cutting wheels for it (it's really for wood). I found one for a powered hand saw and tried to retrofit it but it didn't work. even if it had, that'd have a made a big wide cut though if it worked. on ogauge track maybe not so bad but on ho, it'd have gouged out chunks of it all in the name of a nice even cut.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts