Model Train Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nice.

But you have to remember something....this is for my boys. They are 8, 6, and 2 (had birthdays since first post). They have to be able to see it and run it without using stools or chairs to stand on. So...that set my table height.

I can work with it...just gotta get a bit creative.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Loop closed. Hinges installed on lift up section. Will need to figure out a counterweight system so little fingers aren’t caught in it. That’s for another day.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I’m no carpenter so benchwork is not my strong suit. I wanted that phase mostly over so I can get to the fun stuff...running trains, buildings, scenery.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Tabletop painted a generic brown. I’ve got one loop completed with cork roadbed - it was cheap, what I’m familiar with, etc.

Question: how do you successfully cut Gargraves, or any other tubluar track?

I’m familiar with HO scale which is solid rail and Xuron track cutters work wonders there.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I've heard many recommend a Dremel tool and cutting disk. I have a basic 10" Ryobi miter saw, I replaced the wood blade with a 7" carbide metal blade and that did a great job cutting O-27 tubular track Just a slight clean up of the edges with a small file. I try that when I lay Gargraves for the first time on my next loop (after summer).. . IIRC, GRJ is planning on the mini saw from HD.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Mike. My wife bought me a cheap accessory set for the dremel from Harbor Freight which had heavy duty/reinforced cutting disks. Lasts much longer than the red ones did.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Every (2) pieces of flex track I’m adding in feeders. Bought them premade from Gargraves as I’d have too much help otherwise.

I have some 14guage wire I’ll run underneath as a bus...should be fine considering we’re only talking a 14’ x 14’ layout.

The one curve appears to have a kink in it...it doesn’t, optical illusion.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Looking good.

I didn’t see it mentioned, but it’s a good idea to put a micro switch on your hinge up section to cut power to the track 4 or so feet away when in the up position.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts