Model Train Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

So track 2 is now underway. I’ll need yet another track order to finish this loop...and track screws...

Come on Covid stimulus #2!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
For my Gargraves loop, I plan on using these screws. Small for better appearance at approximately the same diameter as an SAE #1 screw. A round head that won't split the tie when snugged down. Reliable insertion with a cordless drill using a #1 Philips bit. Pre-drilingl with a 3/32 bit will allow the screw to freely pass through the tie. Cheap, I paid $2.63 for 100 M2 x 12 screws including tax and shipping. But you have to wait for the "Slow Boat from China" to get them 4 + weeks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I’ve been predrilling the ties before I snug em down. Was originally using a good old fashioned Craftsman screwdriver but that got old so I switched to the Rigid and dropped the speed down. Seems to work ok.

I was ordering from Trainworld as they’re local (somewhat) to me.

Seems that if I go direct to Gargraves for the fasteners I can get larger quantities so I’ll be going that route for my next order. Track I’ll still get from Trainworld as it’s cheaper there. Go figure!

I’ll also need to get the templates for the Ross switches to see what fits where. Pricey but I like the looks...not keen on the Gargraves offerings.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts