Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there is a real difference between the pliers to repair O vs O27 track. I know the difference between the two tracks but are the tube portion of the rail that different, re tools?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,606 Posts
The pliers I have work with 027 and will work with O. You can buy an inexpensive set of pliers and grind them to crimp at the bottom of the tube and press the two sides in. That works just a s well as a wrap around the tube.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
A few weeks ago, I got a pair of track pliers for O track and they did a great job at tuning up some 85 year old track. I just tried them on some O27 track. Since O track is higher, the O pliers won’t work on the O27 track (see photo). You might be able to use O27 track pliers on O track, but they wouldn’t tighten the bottom of the web. These things are only $10 + $5.30 shipping ($19 + $7.50 if you get both types) and they make the job quick and easy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I was questioning the need to have both. The pictures were exactly what I needed to see.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If the track is not installed you can use needle nose from the edge ( not the top) and tighten it up that way. It is good to know they sell the O scale version too.
Yes. Using the taper of the needle nose - how far in from the edge of the rail - to get the ideal "squeeze". If I need to squeeze further in than the needle nose taper will allow, I use a pair of forceps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts