Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for my best options for track screws. I'm using o27 track and unless I can find #4 screws over 1" I won't be able to use a roadbed. Does anyone know what size and length the Atlas brand track screws are?

On Ericstrains I see him using Atlas almost exclusively. I'm not going the Atlas route but hearing about the Atlas track screws intrigues me. I've looked on mcmastercar but even there I can find anything. What do you use?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
890 Posts
I recently saw a thread about something similar. The suggestion was to use the longest screws you could find, poke a small hole into the roadbed or foam board, then use glue to hold the screw in place. The idea was it would hold well enough.

But, in my view, where there's a will there's a way. Find the smallest screws you can find that are long enough, and drill out the mounting hole in the track. Or, use silicon caulk to hold the track. More than 1 way to skin a track.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently saw a thread about something similar. The suggestion was to use the longest screws you could find, poke a small hole into the roadbed or foam board, then use glue to hold the screw in place. The idea was it would hold well enough.

But, in my view, where there's a will there's a way. Find the smallest screws you can find that are long enough, and drill out the mounting hole in the track. Or, use silicon caulk to hold the track. More than 1 way to skin a track.
Thank you, all good options I'll need to consider.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
That was my post, pasted below. I found two options: (1) M3 x 30 mm and M2.9 x 32 mm. M3 is essentially the same as a #4 +6/000s. M2.9 is +2/000s larger. The M3 comes in 30 mm ( 1 3/16") while the M2.9 comes in 32 mm (1 1/4").

See the pic.'s below.

You'll be hard pressed to find self tapping screws in #2 size that are longer than an inch.

One suggestion: Drive a #2 x 3/4"(?) screw through the track and into the foam and then remove it. Then coat the screw with wood glue and insert it (Elmer's white glue is fine). The wood glue will seep into the foam, bond with it and harden. That creates a quasi thread for the screw - like a threaded insert. And the wood glue won't bond with the screw so it can be backed out whenever. I use this trick on wood when a screw's hole has given way a bit.

M3.png

M2.9.png

·
Registered
483 Posts
Why do you need a screw to secure 027 track that is more than 1" in length? What roadbed are you hoping to use and, what is beneath the roadbed (plywood, foam, etc.)?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have plywood with foam board on top so I was trying to get screws long enough to reach the plywood. I hadn't thought of looking at metric screws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts