Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
It was a normal day in the train room, when suddenly the locomotive jumped off the rails. I hurried over to see what had happened when I came across the body laying beside the track...

Unfortunately the victim (a carpenter ant larger than a scale person) had been killed instantly...more unfortunately, the loco had gotten some "juices" (I'll just leave it at that) on the wheels and had to be cleaned. Anyone else ever had an insect crawling on the tracks?

Registered
I thought you were kidding about the derailment. How can a bug derail a train? But then I realized you must run a very small scale.

I鈥檝e never had a bug cause a derailment with o scale, but I did see a dead carpenter bee on the rails one time.

Carpenter ants and carpenter bees are bad things to see in your house. Very destructive. I hope you find a way to eradicate your ants.

Registered
DB Br.120 and a five coach consist ran over a spider once. Never even stopped.

Registered
Those little buggers are "hard" shelled so I could see it derailing. I believe something like that in Z scale would be considered a large Moose. LOL馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I thought you were kidding about the derailment. How can a bug derail a train? But then I realized you must run a very small scale.

I鈥檝e never had a bug cause a derailment with o scale, but I did see a dead carpenter bee on the rails one time.

Carpenter ants and carpenter bees are bad things to see in your house. Very destructive. I hope you find a way to eradicate your ants.
I model HO, the ant is (was) just slightly larger than a scale person, so it only derailed the locomotives lead truck and drive wheels, not the entire train. I think that this may have been a lone wolf, so to speak, I haven't seen any others around.

Registered
Could've been a scout, but ants don't normally travel alone. Look for sawdust in the wrong places. If you have firewood could be there too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Could've been a scout, but ants don't normally travel alone. Look for sawdust in the wrong places. If you have firewood could be there too.
Yeah, I looked around my entire basement and some of the main floor, found no signs of them. Just to be safe, I'll pick up some bug traps from the hardware store.

Registered
A safe way to keep your basement bug free is to leave a thin berm of baking sofa around the perimeter, just at the foot of each wall. Or, diatomaceous earth.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
A safe way to keep your basement bug free is to leave a thin berm of baking sofa around the perimeter, just at the foot of each wall. Or, diatomaceous earth.
Thanks for the tip, we have plenty of baking soda, so I guess I'll use that.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Will the engineer on that locomotive be getting counseling and trauma therapy due to the fatality? ;)
I think he'll get over it on his own馃槄

Registered
This incident has caused widespread protests and some destructiveness. PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Ants, an ANTIFa group, Ant Investigators of Fatal Accidents, have made demands to Defund the Pesticides, have toppled statues of the Orkin Man and actually burned down a Roach Motel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts