Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been covered before, but for those who have struggled as I did in replacing worn traction tires on some of the late 70's "low end" Lionel GP9 diesels, like my 6-8759 Erie Lackawanna, I'm sharing a little tip to make the process a little less time consuming. Note that on this particular loco, you CANNOT take the truck sides off- NO- that would be too EASY!
As a matter of fact there's not much you CAN take apart on this. I purchased TWO of these, and I can't tell you how much time I wasted installing the two tires. When I got the second one, I was already a "pro" and learned that the secret was to lay the tire PERPENDICULAR to the wheel and slide the thin EDGE of the tire in the small clearance between the wheel and the truck side panel. (wedging a small flat blade screw drive in there and twisting can enlarge this opening slightly)
Then, the most critical part of this is to guide the tire so it partially covers the BOTTOM of the wheel.
Next, making sure the tire stays at least partially around the bottom part of the wheel with either tweezers, an awl or even a small screwdriver holding it in place, I used a tool with a hook at the end to grab the tire and carefully slide it around the rest of the wheel at the top. Here's a picture that might help to illustrate: Hope this helps.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
Thanks for posting, I am sure this will help someone when replacing them. (y)
You forgot to add that a few good cuss words help too. :D

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Too bad it's not as easy as removing two small screws, the truck bottom and the entire wheel assembly. No cussing required. It also allows for easy wheel cleaning and a re-lube of the truck gearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts