Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOOD DAY. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELPFUL INFO ON TRACTION TIRES, IE. SIZE , MAKER. ETC. ALL MY ITEMS ARE DIESELS BY MIXED MAKERS. THANKS

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Roco, Märklin, Pico and other manufactures make traction tires for their locomotives.

They will usually fit a wheel size of a two millimeter spread. You will have to measure the wheel diameter with a caliper (not the flange diameter) and check the manufacturer, or one of the manufacturers I mentioned above.

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Are you thinking of adding traction tires to ones that didn't come with them, or replacing missing or worn ones?

You also might want to check out a product called Bullfrog Snot, which is kind of like rubber cement and can be painted on. It then dries to form a traction tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm new to HO. I'd like to replace the old traction tires with new. A few of my engines struggle on a 6 car load. Can you add them if they didn't come equipped.

·
Registered
669 Posts
No, in most cases you can’t add a traction tire on wheels that were not made for them. Traction tire wheels have a deep groove in them that the tire fits into.
Adding weight to the loco sometimes helps pulling power.
Knowing what brands and specific models you are working with might lead to an answer.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Can you get wheel traction tire sets for steamers that are non traction tire equip??
I some cases This is probably possible if you find an older traction tire geared wheel set or just traction tire grooved wheels that can be installed on the existing axles. It may be difficult to find a good match.

Generally though more modern locos without traction tires are engineered and weighted to function without traction tires.

Lastly regular cleaning of the drive wheels and track will go a long way towards aiding the grip of non traction tire equipped locos.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks for the comeback. I have 2 Bachmann steamers that just won't pull but a few cars. I have a track cleaning car and stay after my track, my other locos are fine. I have a BLI with traction tires that is a monster puller 28 cars no problem 2% grads.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thanks for the comeback. I have 2 Bachmann steamers that just won't pull but a few cars. I have a track cleaning car and stay after my track, my other locos are fine. I have a BLI with traction tires that is a monster puller 28 cars no problem 2% grads.
Do you have a picture of the locos?
Or at least if you know the type and markings on the side we can probably figure out what you have.

As others have suggested, what's the weight? Locos need a good amount of downforce to be able to pull well. I'd also take rubbing alcohol on a swab to the loco wheels too just to get any possible oil or grease off them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just want to add: Unless I'm wrong, traction tires do not conduct electricity. If so, you're likely lose current pickup where there is a tire..Also, unless you have tires on the same wheels on opposite side of truck, you may cause a very very teensy lopsidedness viewing loco front to back/back to front..

Disclaimer: I've no hands on experience with t-tires. The above may be totally wrong..

If you own several diesels or steam, what about double-heading for more power, instead of adding tires ?....M

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Just want to add: Unless I'm wrong, traction tires do not conduct electricity. If so, you're likely lose current pickup where there is a tire..Also, unless you have tires on the same wheels on opposite side of truck, you may cause a very very teensy lopsidedness viewing loco front to back/back to front..
Disclaimer: I've no hands on experience with t-tires. The above may be totally wrong..M
No, you're right... that's why people have been asking if the loco's wheels are grooved for tires. That way the traction tire doesn't sit proud of the wheel.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would like to retract my statement about having to have t-tires on opposite side of truck. Of course 99% of us would naturally do the same on opposite side wheel. It was a moot point. ..M

1 - 18 of 18 Posts