Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to say hello to everyone. I just started getting back into model trains for the first time since I was around twelve. I pretty much have my track plan down for my first layout and I have the materials I need to start everything. The problem I have is that I can not decide on what loco I want to get. I have it narrowed down to three..... I think.... Lol. I am in the northern kentucky/ohio area and I would like to stick with b and o, norfolk and western, and chesapeak and ohio trains. I really like the 4-8-4 steam engines, the class j norfolk and western, and the proto 2000 baltimore and ohio retro style diesel. I know this is basically just personal preference and what time frame I am working with, so I guess my real question is about manufacturers. Who is good and who should I stay away from. I am running a dcc system and want a loco with dcc and sound on board. I have seen a lot of two different brands in the trains I like: bachmann and mth. Now I know mth is really meants for dcs and is more expensive, but is it a better train? Would I be better off getting a mth train over a bachmann? I just really want a high quality engine. Thoughts? Experiences? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

-Nick

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
MTH trains are much nicer than Bachmann (personally) Although some of the Spectrum models are pretty nice.

I've been impressed with Proto2000 engines - quiet, smooth and strong pulling. Also just got an Athearn Genesis engine - once it broke in awhile (run around layout continually) it pulls just as good as the P2K. Broadway Limited is another fine brand

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hi Nick...I own a lot of Bachmann's and Athearn's. It is true that Bachmann's are cheap in price, but they come with DCC already on board in a lot of models. For as cheap as they are, I have had VERY GOOD LUCK with them. You can buy a brand new one with DCC On Board for about $40. Other brands can be around $50 to $60, and you would still have to install a $20-decoder in it for DCC.

As sstlaure said, the Bachmann Spectrum line is a higher quality loco, but again...I have had VERY good luck with the $30 to $40 kind! Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Chad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts