Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First post from a noob, thank you for having me in your group.

Our son got an O-gauge Lionel Lionchief Polar Express last Christmas which he loves.

His 4th birthday is Monday, and mother bought him an O-gauge Amtrak set which is powered by a transformer.

He is infatuated by passenger trains, he is going to loose his mind when he sees it (I hope).

My question: are these sets compatible, such that he can run them on the same tracks/ use the same controls for both trains?

Thanks all,
Jason in Denver

·
Registered
630 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The Polar Express set uses a remote control to operate the train, and the track is powered at a constant voltage.

The Amtrak set sounds like a 'conventional' set and the power is controlled by the variable throttle setting of the transformer.

The trains can be run on the same track, but not at the same time. The proper power pack must be used with each set. The controls are very different for each set.

Larry

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Time to upgrade to two loops (separate tracks). If he likes passenger trains, he'll love two running at the same time. The new set could be run at a constant speed while he uses the original set's remote to pace the trains, pass, etc.

As train Larry says, they're too different systems. You would need to switch the power supply/transformer connections to the track to run the associated train. That could be a pain. A DPDT switch could make it easy - just a flip of the switch.

The holidays are coming ... more track :)

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
What is the Lionel product number of the new Amtrack set? Also, the Polar Express set? Lionchief requires a fixed voltage (usually supplied by a wall wart) with the remote to control the train. It might be possible to use the transformer with the Polar express set. Adjust the transformer to a fixed voltage (same as what the wall wart supplies) when you are running the Polar express.

But I’m not sure if a 4 year old can figure that out (or a DPDT switch for that matter).

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Here is the Lionel page for the Polar Express set. It says that it requires 18 volts and that it can operate at the same time on the same track as any legacy or TMCC engine.

The Polar Express™ O Gauge Set with LionChief Remote and RailSounds RC

Here is the Lionel page for the Amtrak set. It says the loco can run in command control or conventional mode. To operate in command mode, you need additional equipment (see the manual in the link).

Amtrak HHP-8 Amfleet Passenger Set (TMCC LOCO #656F)

The CW-80 transformer that comes with the Amtrak set can be used to power the Polar Express set, but the Polar Express set does not work in conventional mode. As I said earlier, set the CW-80 at a fixed voltage and use the remote to control the Polar Express.

Running them on the same track at the same time can be done, but it might be a bit tricky. Set the CW-80 to control the HHP-8 speed and use the remote to control the Polar Express. Don’t be surprised if you have some collisions.

As Mike said, It's probably best to set them up on two separate tracks. You can use the CW-80 to power both, but unless you get the command equipment for the Amtrak HHP-8, I think it better to use the CW-80 for the HHP-8 and the wall wart for the Polar Express.

·
Hobo for Life
6,063 Posts
As they said, use the cw 80 for both, just set it to 18 volts when running the polar express, and use the controller. When running the amtrack train you can use the handle to controll the train. Thats easiest if using one track.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
As they said, use the cw 80 for both, just set it to 18 volts when running the polar express, and use the controller. When running the amtrack train you can use the handle to controll the train. Thats easiest if using one track.
Yes. No need for a DPDT switch. But now you have a second set of track. So you can it to either expand your existing track loop or create a second one and run trains side-by-side..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts