Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just picked up my son a second hand locomotive for his train set to give to him at Christmas but when I test it - it keeps derailing on turnouts.

We have another train that is the same brand / dimension / number of axles that has never derailed.

The only difference I can see is the axles are looser / have more play on the newly acquired train.

Can these be tightened? I have not disassembled a train before so don't know whether it has some kind of wearable pivot joint or whether its just a case of tightening up a screw.

Appreciate any help

Adam

· Railroad Tycoon
26,385 Posts
Hi

Just picked up my son a second hand locomotive for his train set to give to him at Christmas but when I test it - it keeps derailing on turnouts.

We have another train that is the same brand / dimension / number of axles that has never derailed.

The only difference I can see is the axles are looser / have more play on the newly acquired train.

Can these be tightened? I have not disassembled a train before so don't know whether it has some kind of wearable pivot joint or whether its just a case of tightening up a screw.

Appreciate any help

Adam
It would be of great help to know what brand of train is it .......and a scale?

N, HO, O scale?

Picture?

Something so we can help you?

· Railroad Tycoon
26,385 Posts
It worked.:)

Is it the front truck?

Here is a diagram for your locomotive.

(click on picture to enlarge, click again for a larger picture, then again for the largest.)

Text Transport Diagram Auto part Line art

· Railroad Tycoon
26,385 Posts
I didn't see your second picture till now.
As shown the problem truck is the left one in the picture?

Technology Electronics Electronic device Vehicle Machine

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's the rear axle that is causing problems based on how it derailed although because it's a present I have only had it on his track briefly to get the it working on the Bachmann DCC.

Would too much play cause it to derail, if so, is this adjustable or do they wear over time and it's an issue with buying second hand loco's

· Railroad Tycoon
26,385 Posts
I think it's the rear axle that is causing problems based on how it derailed although because it's a present I have only had it on his track briefly to get the it working on the Bachmann DCC.

Would too much play cause it to derail, if so, is this adjustable or do they wear over time and it's an issue with buying second hand loco's
Which is the rear in the picture?
The left or right?
The left looks almost like it is hitting the fuel tank?

· Railroad Tycoon
26,385 Posts
Take off the fuel tank and run it, see what happens.

I wonder if the fuel tank can be put on backwards?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The front is on the left so it's the one that touches the fuel tank although it would have to be at an extreme tilt to do so - not sure if it would touch during normal operation when the axles are level....but then again I have no idea...I could always run it in the other direction to see if the same issues occur.

Just saw your post - i'll give it a try....appreciate your help

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure if you can glean much from this video...I run the 4 trains we have over a sample turnout (although all are effected)....the new one (comes last) doesn't totally derail in the vid but just holds together but most times it derails. We pretty much never have derailments so the turnouts are working well for us - all Bachmann EZ track

Excuse the video length as I'm not an expert on running 4 trains on one track so didn't want to smash my sons trains. Also my son loves manual switches so we have wiring everywhere for now.

· Railroad Tycoon
26,385 Posts
If you run it the other way does it derail?

In the picture it looks like one of the wheels almost touches the trucks housing. On the left side truck the lower wheel.

Just run the one so you don't crash the others.:D

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate your help mate....

It ran fine backwards and when I drove it forwards it ran fine to so it might just be certain turnouts in certain directions that give it grief but we can just avoid driving it in that direction.

· Railroad Tycoon
26,385 Posts
See the wheel in the picture I am talking about? Left side, front axle, lower wheel. It looks right up against the housing?
Does that move some away from the trucks housing.
That wheel might be making it jump?

I wonder if you have a bad gear or the pin moved some?

· Registered
1,864 Posts
looks to me like the engine derails before the turnout.
Can you take a picture looking straight down, include half of the turnout and part of the curve leading into it.

· Registered
12,871 Posts
It looks to me like all 4 locos "bump" as they leave the curved segment and enter the turnout. That would be more indicative of a misaligned joint at that spot. Run your fingers over the rails at that spot, and see if you feel anything.

It also often helps to get down right at rail level with a light behind the loco and run the train slowly though. You can usually see exactly where the wheel comes off.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
I would be inclined to think it's the rear truck side frame that is snagging on the rail joint. See if the truck side frame is seated completely on the truck structure. Also, check the rail connection between the two tracks to be sure the rail joiner is properly engaging both rails.

· Railroad Tycoon
26,385 Posts
It is also almost right at the seam of whatever your using underneath the switch.
What is under there roofing shingles?

Edit, I just watched it again it looks like it is jumping when it hits the frog in the switch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.