Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I’m working on my control panel now and I have a great space in the middle for a logo/layout name but I can’t find one I like. I’m leaning towards “(last name) Junction” but it just doesn’t feel right. What have you used?

I’m also wondering if someone can explain this really quick on THE popular delivery website... I know what a Power Distribution Board is but where is power supposed to input on here to distribute? I can only find smaller ones. Or maybe I’m totally wanting to use it wrong lol

Attachments

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I like quiet, fun puns that are somewhat appropriate or ironic.

My layout is set up for a small Colorado town in the mid 1950s that has seen its heyday come and go . . . hence the name San Bettadaise (seen better days). Years ago I had a N layout that depicted an old Rocky Mountain coal mining and lumber region narrow gauge RR area, I called Lackamoola Junction.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Mine is informally known as Michaelstadt which is an actual German town in the state of Hesse just north of Baden-Württemburg. Oberrittersgrün is to the east which is a small town in the former DDR. There will soon be a few small Swiss mountain villages that are as yet unnamed on the RhB mountain line.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey, I’m working on my control panel now and I have a great space in the middle for a logo/layout name but I can’t find one I like. I’m leaning towards “(last name) Junction” but it just doesn’t feel right. What have you used?

I’m also wondering if someone can explain this really quick on THE popular delivery website... I know what a Power Distribution Board is but where is power supposed to input on here to distribute? I can only find smaller ones. Or maybe I’m totally wanting to use it wrong lol
It is a terminal block where you gather all the wires from various locations to a Central Location. Terminal 1 is ISOLATED and ONLY connected to Terminal 1 on the opposite side. The same goes for the other 30 terminal screws. Here is a schematic and in this case, "n" equals 30 terminals.

If you wanted Terminals 1, 2, 3 to be the same input, you would need to put jumpers on one side of the block to connect each other electrically together. I hope I correctly understood your question.

LeRoy

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its your layout. Call it whatever you would like. It could be made up or real. It doesnt even need to have a name.

·
Registered
8,511 Posts
Rogue

I'll let our witty members answer your quest for a Layout name.

But, on the subject of that 'power distribution panel', I would say that,
unless there is a model with fewer terminals, for the typical layout,
it is a major overkill.

For many of us, the simple multi-terminal 'barrier' strips are adequate.
They are widely available with various terminal counts and
are economical. There is a row of numbered 'in' terminals that have a
jumper to to the 'mate' in the row of 'out' terminals. If
desired, a number of the terminals, in either row, can be jumpered together.
This would act as a power distribution panel.
Typically, a barrier strip is used on a turnout control panel. The buttons
and switches are wired to the 'in' terminals. The cables to the turnouts
are wired to the 'out' terminals.

Don

Don

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Railroad names. Wow. The possibilities are endless, and depend on whether you want realistic, punny or witty, or go with a real one. Typically, the term "junction" would be more applicable to s station than railroad. Real railroads often use geographic descriptions (Connecticut Valley; Atcheson, Topeka and Santa Fe; Union Pacific, Durango & Silverton), or initials (CSX -- Chessie Seaboard "times" meaningnthe sum of the parts is less than the whole), or portmanteaus / acronyms (CONRAIL -- Consolidated Railroad Corp). Name it after your wife and son (Doris and Homer RR). Be funny: Gorre and Daphaetid, or "Gory and Defeated". Or use a real one, evening what you decide to model isn't strictly representing the real thing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Even if your layout doesn't look anything like it, pick a name of a real RR, RR branchline, or a Shortline you've seen, read about, liked, ridden, and use that.. In Los Angeles we have the LAJ; Los Angeles Junction RR.. Make up any fictitious name you wish...No one will sit in junction-judgement of you.. 🚦🛤🌄

·
Registered
466 Posts
We call ours Angel SUV & Kids Railroad. We figure everybody is somebody's kid so anybody can contribute. My previous layout didn't have a formal name, it was referred to as The Train.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love the puns, San Bettadaise strikes a chord as that’s how I’m feeling at the moment lol. Michaelstadt is a great name too, unfortunately wouldn’t work with my last name without sounding ridiculous. We (my Dad and I) are also doing a large rocky mountain and I hadn’t even thought to name it. Being a woman Twin Peaks doesn’t sound too bad to me but I’m not sure my Dad would appreciate it all that much!!

Junction didn’t feel right and you’re right, CTValley, junction it’s more of a station than layout. I love “(last name) Valley” actually and reminds me of where my parents grew up. Maybe find a real mountain’s name to use significant to them. We are also big CSX fans and have a CSX Intermodal Yard and Maintenance Yard. [ While we’re here, does anyone know what CSX stand for? ]

Homeless & DonR... Power Board: Thanks for the info/advice! I think you’re right, it is over kill and I found a much smaller one that I know will definitely work really well, just need to get a couple of them.

Thanks everyone!! Love the ideas, keep them coming! Also, it’s SO nice to have SOME form of human contact aka you all so thank you lol :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Typically, the term "junction" would be more applicable to s station than railroad.
A few real one's I've found (all shortlines):

Los Angles Junction Railroad
Guelph Junction Railway (I lived beside this one in university)
Napierville Junction Railway
East St. Louis Junction Railroad
Manufacturer's Junction Railway
Brillion Forest Junction Railroad

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
A few real one's I've found (all shortlines):

Los Angles Junction Railroad
Guelph Junction Railway (I lived beside this one in university)
Napierville Junction Railway
East St. Louis Junction Railroad
Manufacturer's Junction Railway
Brillion Forest Junction Railroad
Yes, there are some, and I knew that when I posted, hence the terms "typically" and "more appropriate" in my post. But as you've discovered, it's really only used by short lines whose purpose is to link other roads or transportation modes.

Although I'm sure, if you look hard enough, you'd find an exception to that statement, too.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I love the puns, San Bettadaise strikes a chord as that’s how I’m feeling at the moment lol. Michaelstadt is a great name too, unfortunately wouldn’t work with my last name without sounding ridiculous. We (my Dad and I) are also doing a large rocky mountain and I hadn’t even thought to name it. Being a woman Twin Peaks doesn’t sound too bad to me but I’m not sure my Dad would appreciate it all that much!!
We have an expression around here: Your Layout, Your Rules. Although maybe your Dad does get a vote if he's doing this with you. I personally have seen some very racy names which are not appropriate for a public forum, so you're not far off the mark there. Personally, I'd recommend a name for every feature. The real world has them. Adding them to your layout just makes it feel more authentic.

Junction didn’t feel right and you’re right, CTValley, junction it’s more of a station than layout. I love “(last name) Valley” actually and reminds me of where my parents grew up. Maybe find a real mountain’s name to use significant to them. We are also big CSX fans and have a CSX Intermodal Yard and Maintenance Yard. [ While we’re here, does anyone know what CSX stand for? ]
I did give a very short explanation for CSX in my earlier reply. MichaelE's link above is much better. "Connecticut Valley" refers to the Connecticut River, which runs through the middle of Connecticut and Massachusetts m then forms the border between Vermont and New Hampshire before nipping jnt Canada for a short stretch and then curving back south to its source in northern New Hampshire. It's a real railroad, doing business today (or would be, if covid-19 weren't a thing) as the Essex Steam Train and Riverboat.

·
Registered
506 Posts
🌈 Let's not forget John Allen's famed Gorre and Daphetid !! ROGUE , if you're not familiar with this, can search it above...Important history of the hobby...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks for this thread Rogue. After two years I have a name for my railroad. Up 'til now I've called it "no-name railroad", with the "no-name river" and "no-name town" (or "small town").

So the sign going up on the depot this weekend will say "Eastwood".

Now, do I want a second word? Looking around SW Va. & NW NC I see towns with two-word names and the second word is often:

Creek
Rock
Valley
Grove
Ford
Hill
Spring
Mill
Bluff
Ridge
Hollow
Point