Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the CSX info/link, I’ve seen them on the road and always wondered and briefly looked it up to find CSX = CSX lol. We are CSX fans so that’s what we’ve labeled our intermodal yard and maintenance area in.

Stumpy... Great list, will definitely be stealing some of those names! I love how vastly different they are from one another. I hadn’t thought too far ahead in naming individual stations but will def keep that in mind for later. Thank you!

I really like Eastwood Ridge too. Can’t help but think of Clint Eastwood on a horse in the desert somewhere nowhere.

Thanks for all of the input, definitely given me some great options to bounce around for a bit as I have some time before labeling. Just finished putting in all of the Tortoises (omg what a b* to put 28 in, I’ve never been so excited to finish a project!), my dad is working on building the control panel and I’m wiring the switches and track as electrical is ALL me. Only me.

Side notes questions bc it’s only me lol:
1) When wiring town lamps to a power distribution board can I wire in the resistor direct to my power source before it gets to the vs wiring each individual light to a resistor. Make sense??

power supply + resistor = PDB which then powers all of my lights.
vs power = PDB = each individual lamp + resistor

2) Has anyone seen any flood lights for the boards? I have a bunch of really cute street lights for towns but I’m looking to illuminate my coal yard and maintenance area, more industrial areas. So far it looks like I’ll have to make my own w leds.

Sorry for long post but you’re awesome if you’ve read it this far and thank you!

·
Registered
665 Posts
How about Petit Tetons?

The correct resistor depends on power supply voltage, how many LEDs, and series or parallel connection. It will change if you add LEDs.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
You could use one resistor, but its not advisable. I would pick a light supply voltage (like 12 v) then put individual resistors on each LED, based on how bright you want the LED. I like 1k resistors on 12v's. The individual resistor will protect the LED against start up surge and other power anomalies. 1k ohm 1/4 watt resistors are cheap. A little heat shrink tubing and your set. If your really good at soldering (or if want to improve your soldering skill you could use SMT resistors)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Lemonhawk... Thanks for info. I agree it’s probably better to wire/resistor each light individually, I was just curious if running the power through the resistor first before it distributes would work.
I’m pretty decent with soldering but have never worked with smt resistors before. I’m guessing they work the same way?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The name looks great! Very believable! SMT's are the little chip resistors you see on circuit boards. A lot easier to solder a 1/4 watt resistor with leads that tacking to the edge of an SMT, but in a tight space the smt makes for a small package. There are places that sell LED's with smt resistors of some how to youtube videos, you might look at those to get an idea of what is involved. Being a little old, my hands shake making it complicated to work with SMT devices but there are ways to overcome this. So I still like to use them, just have to hold them down by other means!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,501 Posts
ROGUE R R OR THE R R R.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
CSM (for Chessie-Seaboard Merger) but the name was also taken. The lawyers decided to use CSX, and the name stuck. In the public announcement, it was said that CSX is singularly appropriate. C can stand for Chessie, S for Seaboard, and X actually has no meaning

CSX merged these lines:
· Conrail (Consolidated Rail Corporation)
· Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad
· Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad
· Chessie System
· Western Maryland Railway
· Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
· Chesapeake & Ohio Railway

·
Registered
196 Posts
CSM (for Chessie-Seaboard Merger) but the name was also taken. The lawyers decided to use CSX, and the name stuck. In the public announcement, it was said that CSX is singularly appropriate. C can stand for Chessie, S for Seaboard, and X actually has no meaning

CSX merged these lines:
· Conrail (Consolidated Rail Corporation)
· Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad
· Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad
· Chessie System
· Western Maryland Railway
· Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
· Chesapeake & Ohio Railway
You forgot the L&N and the CRR.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Hey, I’m working on my control panel now and I have a great space in the middle for a logo/layout name but I can’t find one I like. I’m leaning towards “(last name) Junction” but it just doesn’t feel right. What have you used?

I’m also wondering if someone can explain this really quick on THE popular delivery website... I know what a Power Distribution Board is but where is power supposed to input on here to distribute? I can only find smaller ones. Or maybe I’m totally wanting to use it wrong lol
Rouge;

I have it easy, in a way, since I model a real railroad that once existed, and use a few of the place names along that line. My layout is very loosely based on the Milwaukee Road's trackage near Seattle, Washington. The MLW shared Seattle Union Station with the Union Pacific, and there was another major station, right across the street, that was used by the Northern Pacific, and the Great Northern. The UP and MlW gained access to Seattle on a UP subsidiary short line called The "Pacific Coast Railway." In my model world, the Pacific Coast Railway also carries the NP & the GN into Seattle, so I have an excuse for running beautiful passenger trains from all four railroad companies. For this reason I thought of calling my layout "The Pacific Coast Railways" As in plural. Not much originality there , one letter added. The layout also includes "Black River Junction" and "Cedar Falls." both real towns that once existed in Washington state. The photo shows the control panel for Cedar Falls, with the town name, and Milwaukee Road logo.

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts