Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dano, what are you up too now?!?!
Hey there! I am trying to replicate one of the four or five Train Masters that were built for the CPR with the extra steam generators behind the cab. I have started with the old Lionel and am tricking it out to more resemble the CPR version and add some detail along the way. They were run long hood forward.
Cab end:
DSC05510.JPG

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the on-line method all the time. Pretty painless once you get used to it.

·
Admin
43,203 Posts
Last time I tried to send something to Canada using the USPS, I couldn't get the on-line to work, this time it seemed almost painless. Maybe they're actually making progress with shipping.

I was floored by the difference in price, what can explain going from less than $4 to over $15 for a 12 oz package? Someone's making a lot of bread on shipping between the US and Canada! Talk about abandoning NAFTA is overblown, there's no free trade now! :p:p

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The difference is shipping within Canada. I can ship a parcel to Detroit for virtually the same cost as to Windsor, just across the river in Ontario.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it is small and heavy they charge by weight, large and light then by size. There is no cheap shipping in Canada! I can offer free shipping to Canada and the USA because of the like costs if I keep my shipments under a kilogram. The real killer is the 70 cent dollar!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hah hah! John you could have probably cut it in two and it would not have mattered.;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Great thread fleshed out by two of my favorite modeling icons -GRJohn and Dano. I spent part of an afternoon last year at Dano's hobby shop in Sechelt, a one-ferry ride and then short drive on the beautiful B.C. coast. Dano's not only a serious scale modeler and builder, he's a gracious host. Not long after we visited him, his store was closing out, so it's great to read his posts and see his work flow still as captivating as ever.

When GRJohn's Lionel Wabash FM was first advertised a few years ago, I plunked down the money, but after nearly a year's wait, I got frustrated and bought something else. Too bad, as I always thought the motorized rotating fans were a big feature, but apparently not that many others agree. Anyway, John, without a doubt your FM shell gift to Dano will translate well. Incidentally, I saw three original CP FM Trainmasters - one working in Lethbridge, Alberta in 1961 and two others lashed up in Moose Jaw, Saskatoon about 1966.

My newer Williams by Bachmann CP Trainmaster may receive at least a truer paint job if not alterations a la Dano - I'm not anywhere near that kind of skill...

·
Admin
43,203 Posts
I bought my Wabash Train Master from someone knowing that it has wrecked handrails. I thought I could fix them, and I was well on my way to building the railings when I found out from Mike Reagan that Lionel has a shelf with "scrap" shells. I asked him to pick the best looking one, and I got one that looks great. It didn't have the hatch or grill, but I just moved them from the old shell. I just went for the path of least resistance. ;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A shot of the shell that John generously gave me alongside the one that I have been working on. It will in all likely hood be donating parts to the other Williams shell that I have. The louvers rotate open and closed and the ventilation grills are stamped out of metal (I think) and are beauts.
DSC05513.JPG

·
Admin
43,203 Posts
I'm glad that you can use some of the stuff from the shell, it seemed too nice to just toss. :)

Might be able to use those nice windows from the Lionel shell too. Too bad I had to take the motor and grill for the fans for my new shell, they rotate when you have the motor installed.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts