Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think I can trim the windows to fit, one pane open, need to locate a crew from the stock-pile! The 'fans' look to me to be actually part of the structure with the actual fans underneath, so I don't think they should rotate anyhow, at any rate the housing is for a different model of Train Master than what I am replicating. By the way John, you did some meticulous soldering on those hand rails!

·
Admin
43,214 Posts
I was trying to duplicate what they did for the originals, but then I got to the front and rear and all the little supports were broken, that's when I decided that the new shell made more sense.

I don't remember the crew, I guess my new shell didn't come with them and they had to work in the new environment. :D

·
Admin
43,214 Posts
You can usually get a guy into the cab, even if you have to slice him in half. ;) I have a Train Master that I just put a cab side across the extended cab and then put the figure in with a little bulb above on each side. That Wabash Legacy model had very nice detailing, that's one of the reasons I liked it. Later models from Lionel have started to omit some of the separately applied details, my new Legacy Reading Train Master doesn't have all of the nice detailing that the Wabash does.

Here's a couple of interior shots and the wiring diagram of a Williams Train Master that I did for a customer. He was all about the lights, so we went whole-hog on them. :D

This upgrade got red/green directional markers. a real MARS light, Rule-17 lighting, automatic cab light control, etc.

WBB Trainmaster TMCC Upgrade N1.jpg

WBB Trainmaster TMCC Upgrade N2.jpg

WBB Trainmaster Wiring Rev. 1.1.png

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cool, John. I may change the bulb to an LED because of heat issues but that is my limit of practicing the dark art of electronics! I am using an old Lionel chassis with the big heavy motors for this project and there is not much room to play with. I have not checked underneath the other though, it may be all Williams with can motors but the shell looks to be a Lionel clone.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have finished mounting the pilots and redoing the stairs. The couplers are attached to the frame although I may have been able to leave the rear one on the truck but for some reason I got it into my head to change it. The front one is a dummy. I had to hog out quite a bit of the rear pilot to make it all work but when running it is not really noticeable.
DSC05525.JPG

DSC05526.JPG

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looks like you got to use the louvers from the Lionel shell, looks like they fit right in. :)
John, those louvers I made and installed before I got the shell from you. I have not started cutting up that shell yet, it will probably be dedicated to another rendition. I have a Williams frame with can motors that I will most likely put it on.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I hope to put your shell to work rendering this loco. It will be different dimensions but they won't be on the track at the same time!
cntrainmaster.jpg

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The Williams shell is a clone of the early Lionel, made to fit the frame with the old large frame motors. The new shell could be made more in scale because of the smaller can motors. It is shorter and has a narrower body but wider across the walkways. The details are also finer, a good thing.
DSC05527.JPG

·
Admin
43,214 Posts
Interesting Dan, I have an old Williams Penn Central Train Master shell here, I was going to paint it, but that project got sidetracked several years ago and I ended up selling the Williams engine, so now I have an extra shell. :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I also have another shell but now I want to try using the one that I got from you. It should take less modding time!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts